The Job Search

rejection email response

>

krattan

rejection email response
Old 08-22-2018, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey Job seekers
I am currently looking for a new teaching position since i left my last place. Long story short -
New teacher here - started to work for a title 1 school. Students behavior and past issues made me feel like I was inadequate in the classroom. I ended up staying the whole year and made a few gains in my classroom - such as improving my classroom management. Anyway - my principal and I were not really on the best of terms. I did a lot to try and show I did care of her input but I also felt no support from her, or the advice I was being given wasn't really working with the students I had (if something didn't work in K - why would it work in 2nd grade ?). Anyway - I'm applying to jobs and even though I got a few job offers = I've been getting some rejections lately. The principals have all kinda hinted that this one reference I have from this past principal isn't the best.
I know that I have a lot to work on and I want to get better as a teacher. So I appreciate that this principal offered some constructive feedback in his email to me. I was just wondering what is the best response to such an email?

My parents think i should mention how hard my year was last year and I would appreciate his guidance as a new teacher. While my friends think I should just say thank you and acknowledge his advise. What have you guys used in the past? And how did you jump back into the field after a hard year?

Thank you

krattan is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 08-25-2018, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would assume you have reflected on the past school year and on the criticism you were given by your principal? Even if you don't have the same perspective of the situation or of yourself as a teacher, you have to come up.with a plan. Did your educational philosophy change as a result? Is there an area you wish to experience growth? In what ways do you feel admin could help with some situations you faced?

The bottom line, you could tell the principal that you reflected on the previous school year. Tell that principal how you grew as a teacher as a result. Thank the principal for the constructive criticism. Keep it positive.

After a bad LTS job, I suddenly had an educational philosophy I was passionate about. I have a feeling you do too.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 08-26-2018, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The email offering constructive advice was from the principal giving you the bad reference?

I disagree with your parents- how hard your year was may be perfectly true, but mentioning it in this scenario it will come across as making excuses and could come across as pointing a finger of blame straight at the principal. As you might expect, that likely won't endear you to him/her. Avoid this if you are trying to improve the reference from him/her.

Avoid it if you are responding to a new principal, too- blaming others for your difficulties is not something that a new principal wants to deal with. Save stories of your past difficulties for your supportive family and friends. Always frame stories to your new boss about your past work situation as positive, no matter how bad it was. Spin it.

I would thank the principal for his/her advise, list some specific examples of how you are taking the advise and how you will apply it to your new year. Be appreciative and be positive.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote