Help

New Teachers

Working Beyond Contract Hours

>

AbcTeacher17

Working Beyond Contract Hours
Old 05-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I’m new to this forum but after reading various posts regarding work hours, I knew I needed to ask theses questions or make these comments:
I teach in a Pre-K thru 4tg grade school. Teacher hours are from 7:45-3:20.
I am assigned a morning duty requiring me to arrive by 7:30.
School meetings, committe, staff, SIT, etc....at least one weekly, are scheduled to begin at 3:15.
I routinely am expected to work many hours beyond the scheduled day for duties and meetings, expected to attend evening PTO meetings with a paired school program... this happens four times a year. We are required to work a 2 Friday night fun carnival ...one in fall and one in spring...and our district has TWO early release conference days...where students leave school at 1:00 and we are required to conference and remain on campus until 7:00 pm.
These are just a few ways I feel “MY TIME” is being robbed. What do you all think?

AbcTeacher17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-12-2018, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The things you are describing are very normal, at least in my area. The only thing that's different is the conferences- we do have to work 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM two days in a row for those, but then we get a day off as a "comp day" to make up for that time.

The other things all happen at my school, and I would imagine only don't happen in places with very strong unions. I'm in a state with weak "associations" that don't have much power. I also think teachers are somewhat at fault here too because many teachers tend to be martyrs, especially at the elementary level.

For example, my district has a leadership team structure in each building. If you're on the team, you attend a 90 minute meeting once per month outside of contract time. People at my school are just dying to be on this team- teammates will fight with each other to get to be the leadership rep for their grade level. At the HS, teachers refused to join the team unless they got paid, so now they get a stipend for doing the same work that the elementary teachers are happily doing for free.

Things aren't going to change unless teachers themselves band together and demand change, and I just don't realistically see that happening. Teachers get too caught up in the "it's for the kids" argument. I see the same issue with buying school supplies out of pocket- schools/districts don't see a need to budget for supplies because teachers continue to provide them themselves.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Contract hours
Old 05-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel very blessed. We have a team that makes sure our contract and times are very well spelled out. Our contract times are 7:30-3:30 each day. We have duty free lunch, no bus duty, and get comparable time for covering another class during our planning. This comp time can be used at any time without explanation. We do have certain rules, we can't take off before or after a holiday unless we are using comp time, the district allows twice a month meetings that are not to exceed 45 minutes at a time beyond our contract day.

I read what duties some on here have and I am thankful for our association and teacher leadership. What does your contract with the district state? Are you required to be on a committee (not sure what SIT is), why are you required to attend PTO and is that every meeting or just on occasion? Some of your time just sounds unreasonable. I would ask to see a copy of your teacher requirements as set up by your district.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

AbcTeacher17

Work day woes
Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sit is School Improvement team....a leadership team....
we do not get duty free lunch.
WHO does those duties, if not the teachers.
So curious. Looking for ideas to perhaps share:
We have no association to look after us....

AbcTeacher17

Work day woes
Old 05-12-2018, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with you. We do not have strong “associations” And yes this is the SAME principle as buying supplies. I feel it’s expected for teachers to buy them....
Teachers are expected to contribute to a school fund for......gifts for

bosses day P and AP........Nurses day.........Bus driver week
School counselor day.......School social worker day...
Office staff day...
Custodial staff day
Cafeteria staff day
Then
Teacher appreciation day... is on parents.... if you work in a high poverty School...there is little to no appreciation.
All I want are pencils and Kleenex.

teabreak

info
Old 05-14-2018, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Sit is School Improvement team....a leadership team....
we do not get duty free lunch.
WHO does those duties, if not the teachers.
So curious. Looking for ideas to perhaps share:
We have no association to look after us....
*Ok, now I know what SIT is . We call it something different here.
*Sad that you don't get duty free lunch. Our representatives made sure all teachers in our district got that.
*Our paraprofessionals (mostly classroom aides) do the lunch and bus duties. We have quite a few as our school has 2,000 students so they cover those areas in shifts. It's a complicated schedule to explain, but it works for us.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I think it sounds typical of any school I've
Old 05-15-2018, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

been part of (though that is only 3.) Like a PP mentioned above, we also get a "comp" day off after Parent Teacher Conferences.

All three also encouraged, but do not require, at least occasional attendance at ball games, event nights and other school-related activities that occur in the community.

That last is my weakest area. I didn't go to this school. My kids are grown and my DH has no ties to this area or school so I would have to go alone. I feel out of place going alone. Plus, I am not athletically minded for the most part.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-26-2018, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My team mates and I split the committees. Leadership is an hour and a half as opposed to an hour. I do that one because it pisses my p off to have me sit on it.

We have conference days and get a comp day (I hate it and wish we did conferences differently).

We have duty free lunch and after school duty is voluntold. I’m currently contemplating how hard I want to fight it as it’s gotten worse the last few years and against our contract.

We have after school activities and PTO events. I almost never attend and if my P keeps pushing my buttons I’ll attend even less. My time is my own to choose what I attend and what I don’t. Lately I’ve been attending less and less and I’ve noticed others are doing the same.

I’m lucky in that I have a strong union and a strong contract.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote