Career Decisions

Last minute job offer... what to do?!

>

Ehenry351

Last minute job offer... what to do?!
Old 08-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
I am about to enter into my 4th year of teaching and have been at the same school for the past 3 years. The administration at my current school has been extremely supportive and I enjoy my coworkers, but my commute is very long and the kids I serve are pretty hostile and very low performing in all subjects. The teaching environment is extremely stressful to say the least.

I told my principal last May that I was looking for a new position for the next school year that was close to home. She was supportive but obviously doesn’t want to lose me. I have tried since May for a position and have come up with nothing.....

Now, here we are 3 days before planning week and I suddenly get an interview at my dream school and I get an offer!! Woohoo!

But..... I feel absolutely sick about quitting on my principal a week before school starts. Should I turn down the offer because of how close it is to school? Or should I move forward with this offer that is closer to home and will be a much better environment for my health and stress levels? (Also, I have to change districts.... which is another big hurdle to go through a week before school) I am terribly torn.... please help!

Last edited by Ehenry351; 08-04-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Ehenry351 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Take the job
Old 08-04-2018, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You MUST do what's good for you.
There's plenty of teachers that would love your old job!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Take it!!!
Old 08-04-2018, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You need to do what's best for you, so please accept the job, guilt free! You were nice to let your principal know you were looking. This happens all the time. If you signed a contract check and see if they can hold you forms certain number of days (I think my district requires 60 days notice if needed, but it usually isn't invoked if the year hasnt begun with the students.)

But yes, definitely take the job. It is a gift- accept it! Congratulations!

P.S. Welcome to PT! Glad you are here!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
serenow

serenow

Old 08-04-2018, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Make sure to look over your contract or call your human resource department for information. Where I work the school/district can hold your license for up to a school year if you break your contract and do not give required notice or give notice within the required time frame. I know a teacher who gave two weeks notice in October and the district did not release his license until July. He just quit teaching.
Assuming you can just leave without consequences and you have a firm commitment from the new district, I'd say bite the bullet, apologize profusely and head for greener pastures. We are all replaceable.

Ehenry351

Old 08-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for both of your kind encouragement.

@munchkins I am glad I found PT to share in other teacherís ideas and thoughts. Happy to be here!

linda2671

Do what's best for you!!!
Old 08-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This chance may not come along again. There are a lot of teachers out there just waiting for your current job. They can make it work.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ehenry351

Thank you
Old 08-04-2018, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I canít thank you all enough for your kind words and support.

Haley23

Old 08-04-2018, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Congratulations on the new job! You shouldn't feel guilty about taking it, but I do agree with the pp who said to thoroughly check your contract first. In my area, if you resign within 30 days of the new school year starting, you have to forfeit your last paycheck. We get paid monthly, so that's a significant chunk of money. I mentioned this once and all of the teachers I was sitting with had no idea that was in there.

You also want to make sure there is nothing about going after your license or anything like that. If you don't see anything in the contract, I'd call HR and ask. If you're really concerned, you can always call from a friend's phone and ask anonymously.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ehenry351

Contract
Old 08-05-2018, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you everyone. Contract wise I am okay. I have already looked into it, and I wouldnít even be considering this move if there was a chance I would be in trouble in terms of my contract or licensure.

Brand_New

Same here
Old 08-31-2018, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm in a similar situation, except it's my first year of teaching and it's the Friday before school starts... Yeah. Not a good situation. Feeling absolutely sick to my stomach over it.

Brand_New is offline   Reply With Quote