The Job Search

What should I say at this interview?

>

Teacupp

Teacupp

What should I say at this interview?
Old 09-01-2018, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

School has already started and got a job interview next week. I turned down two offers over summer -

One was bait & switch(posted as a FT teaching position and later they said they can only offer a LTS position as they inadvertently lost budget after three weeks!)

The other one is something I got in August - during the training period, my dad passed away outside the US so I had to attend his funeral and take care of other issues afterwards.. I just came back last week, however, they needed someone right away..

I fear if the interviewer would ever wonder why Iím unemployed until this point and whether I have to confess all the drama above.

Would they see me as a picky/lesser candidate because of the 1st episode? Or, any kind of unreliable one because of the 2nd incident?

teenytiny

Old 09-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Firstly, I am sorry about your father's death.

These other two jobs are non-issues in an interview for a job with another district. I would definitely not talk about them in an interview! No interviewer wants to hear about that. It's unlikely in the extreme that an interview question would be, "So, why are you still unemployed?" If they do ask that extremely unlikely question, the answer, of course, is that you were busy dealing with a family death that happened over the summer, and are now available and ready to go. That's it. They won't ask that question anyway, but there's your answer.

Focus entirely on moving forward with your job seeking. Focus on what you have to offer the position. Focus on your knowledge, skills, and enthusiasm.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-01-2018, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Totally agree with the pp. Don't bring up the other offers and it's extremely unlikely they'd ask why you're still unemployed. Obviously they know you're still looking because you applied for their job!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote