Help

The Job Search

Driving a truck one more year..

>

whd507

Driving a truck one more year..
Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had some good interviews, but nothing. My degrees are non-education related, so I was considering getting one more Masters... in Education. I have about a dozen options online at my former school, I just don't know if I want it that bad. (I want in a classroom that bad) but getting a masters while driving a semi coast to coast. typing is awful, and reading almost impossible. (The truck almost never stops) its great money, but only home one day a week, driving CA to NJ each week.

A 4th position opened up today, I'm filling it all out tonight, I'd hate to quit my trucking job cold, but teacher in-service started today in this district...

whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good luck! I hope something comes through for you and it's a good fit. I'm assuming you have education in a specific field (e.g., chemistry, math) and are planning to teach secondary? If you are in an area that has a lot of teacher candidates who have a background in education, I'm sure it will be tougher than if they are temporarily certifying people without the teaching background/coursework. Have you also considered moving? There are definitely places in great need of teachers who will emergency or alternatively certify, but they may not be places you'd like to move.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a 1-6th certification, and an additional certification in Social Science for middle school and high school, but it is expected for you to also be a coach here if you teach social studies/history/civics/etc. I'd be a decent asst. coach, but generally they are looking for sport specific head coaches. It seems that SS is not a high priority in this area. (They filled the 4th grade position with a year-long, long term sub.)

where I grew up, PE teachers were coaches, and SS teachers were teachers.

we have a lot of teaching colleges here locally so cheaper 1st year teachers are plentiful, and my Masters is not in education, so I knew it would be tough. I have seen teachers get a Masters on their own (in their field) and get fired mid-year because the district didn't want to pay for it.

I think I just scored an interview for Director of Religious Education for a major Military base an hour away, so that would be ok, it pays twice what teaching does, although its not the same as having a classroom. But I might be able to sub there on my days off. My Masters started off as a Chaplain degree, so assisting Chaplains on an Army base might be a good fit.

Trevortiger

Religious education
Old 08-11-2018, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would seriously consider that Religious Education job if you wouldn't mind doing it. If it pays twice as much as teaching, that alone would be persuasive - but a job on a military base is also a good thing because once you are in that employment pool, all kinds of base jobs with government benefits might become available to you. You would still get to work with youth/kids, and there would be a LOT less grading and lesson planning - but probably more work time on the weekends. For decent pay, that sounds like an amazing opportunity to me.
Trevortiger is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wish you the best. My husband is a truck driver, so I understand the sacrifices he makes and I know it would be very difficult for him to earn a degree while working. From what I know, the truck usually only stops long enough for him to get his legally required sleep. Some home daily jobs are worse than that by the time the driver drives home and tries to get dinner. My husband's regional job is a little more forgiving, giving him a few hours every other day that are truly his. I hope you can get in this school year and not have to touch your Masters in education as a trucker.

I'm looking for a job too and today was hard. Teachers will go back soon but I am holding out hope and praying I will be hired soon.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 09-06-2018, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I drive teams, so the truck only stops for fuel, and I sleep while he drives. its just too bumpy in the truck to type. I have been assured that I don't need another masters, but it seems that it would help. I'll just keep looking, we may have to leave the area as there are jobs in the rural parts of the state, but selling the house and logistics make that an undesirable option for a 34k job.

we will just keep chugging along till that door opens