Help

Fourth Grade

Teaching reading in grade 4

>

cathy1206

Teaching reading in grade 4
Old 09-30-2018, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Currently we are using Lucy Calkins to teach reading. Honestly, I hate it. I really feel it does nothing to support reading foundation skills. I am struggling to gauge student progress. Our whole school used to be on this program but kindergarten and first grade are using something else and now third grade has found a different program. I was hoping to connect with third grade but others on my grade level donít want to put in the work to change. This is all they have ever taught(newer teachers). I really love students at the fourth grade level but these coworkers are forcing me to consider a change.

We use the workshop model but I would like something else to gauge comprehension and demonstrate mastery of basic foundation reading skills (main ideas, supporting details, plot, etc.)

What are other fourth grade teachers using to teach reading. Our district will not buy new readers but third grade has found something on Teachers Pay Teachers along with purchasing mentor texts. Any ideas would be appreciated.

cathy1206 is offline   Reply With Quote

Deer01

Old 09-30-2018, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school is using Ready Reading and Ready Writing. Unfortunately, the program is very dry but teaches the standards for sure. I have to supplement with items I purchased on teacherspayteachers.com. For my low readers, I supplement with Raz Kids.
I completely understand the frustration on why each grade level is separate. It does not make since. Our district did not buy reading books for each kids. Instead they purchased Ready Reading. In addition they purchased a separate phonics program for grades K-2.
You know what you're doing. Follow your gut and do what is best for your students.
Deer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Novels
Old 10-01-2018, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have sets of novels that we use. We hit the standards within the books. We do....

School Days According to Humphrey
Frindle
Lemonade War
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Cricket in Times Square
Stuart Little
The Borrowers
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Charlotte's Web
Shiloh
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

cathy1206

Old 10-13-2018, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your reply. I will look into Raz kids.

cathy1206

Old 10-13-2018, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I loved when we used whole class novels. I knew the stories so I could assess better when students were actually reading and comprehending. But administrative changes and a new curriculum director forced us to use a workshop model. I teach from a story but when students read independently they choose their own books. So I have 21 students reading 21 different books. Some are poor choices and some who donít like to read continually read the same books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I know students like this series but I donít feel it helps growth in reading. Others, especially boys, tend to only want to read informational.

I feel I am really struggling and since others at my level donít complain because they donít want to ďrock the boatĒ I feel alone. What I am hoping to find is something to use once a week to provide a window. We started with Read Works but I tried to take these tests and found the questions confusing. My class average was 63 and that just does not represent their ability. I have refused to use them because I feel it is setting them up to fail and does not help to support comprehension. Any other suggestions would help. Thanks

cathy1206

Old 10-13-2018, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We used to teach from whole class sets but were forced to change after being told that students need to read at their own level. Would love to return to the good old days. Change isnít always a good thing. You are lucky. You have some really good titles here.

SwollenAnkles

Journeys
Old 11-07-2018, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our district uses Journeys reading program. I struggle with it. Most of us do. We complain like crazy. At every district meeting all the schools complain. The district does not care because they spent so much on it and signed up for 5 years. It is very boring and the tests are time consuming and often we only get one question from it that actually goes towards grades. We have to keep a separate grade book and when we have enough for one standard then put it in power school. Frustrated!
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

cathy1206

Journeys
Old 11-16-2018, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Looks like this is something to steer clear of. Thanks for the info.