Help

Fifth Grade

Hurricane tracking using Longitude and Latitude

>

bullet2

Hurricane tracking using Longitude and Latitude
Old 06-12-2018, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to 5th grade Social Studies. The previous teacher did a unit on Longitude and Latitude using a Hurricane tracking project. I have searched the web and have found hardly anything. Has any one done something similar?? Would love to hear some ideas

bullet2 is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't heard of anything like that, but it does sound fun! Maybe print off a world map with the main longitude and latitude lines and then look up the location of the eye of a hurricane and students try to estimate where that would be on the map. You could laminate them and use dry erase markers. Then they could get into groups and compare their plots and discuss why they marked where they did.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Hurricane Tracking
Old 07-12-2018, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did that when I taught 5th grade a long time ago. I had 2 jars - one with latitude numbers and one with longitude numbers. I had a big map and the kids had individual ones (or you could put an individual one on an elmo). Each day we'd pull a number from each jar and track our fictional hurricane on the map. The kids loved wondering where it was going! If you wanted to do it all in one day, you still could. It was also a good time to talk about each area it was near, preparedness strategies, etc... You can also let the kids name the hurricane.

If you need a chart, the NOAA website has them: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tracking_charts.shtml
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladyslipper59

Old 11-24-2018, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used to do that with my class. On the National Hurricane Website, you can download a map with grid lines of latitude and longitude. Everyday I would gather the coordinates, and together we would plot the hurricane as it moved. It wasn’t perfect because I had to round the coordinates, but it was very close. We had lots of fun doing that. You should give it a try.
Ladyslipper59 is offline   Reply With Quote