Help

Sixth Grade

Reading

>

Jean

Reading
Old 12-30-2018, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student when reading doesn 't pronounce all her words correctly what could be the problem? What can I do? She is in the 6th grade.

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

Lionpaws

Questions
Old 01-01-2019, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Could you be more specific with this student's difficulty? Is she mispronouncing words but decoding them correctly? Some words can be easily and accurately decoded but our English language pronounces them with different emphases on syllables: monotonous is an example. Is she not decoding correctly? For example, is she reading a word such as development but saying dependent? Is she leaving off suffixes or changing the suffix? Is misreading "sight" words?

It could be a vision problem. She could be trying to read too fast and her accuracy suffers. She may not have an expansive vocabulary so she doesn't recognize words such as monotonous when she mispronounces. She may have decoding issues with multi-syllabic words such as development. She may not be attending to meaning as she is reading.

Used and loved a program called Reading Rewards for issues with decoding multi-syllabic words.
Have used a "table tap" method with students who suffer with poor accuracy. As you work with them, you tap the table as they read aloud with you. This lets them know when they are making errors.

Check out another resource called Improving Reading A Handbook of Reading Strategies by Jerry Johns. It has very specific interventions for a host of reading difficulties.

I hope that helps give you some ideas.
Lionpaws is offline   Reply With Quote