The VENT

RTI Meetings

>

learn

RTI Meetings
Old 01-29-2019, 02:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,
With RTI (response to intervention) meetings, would you say that for 2nd grade, if we are concentrating on helping a student with a skill they are struggling in, should we then continue to add all the struggled skills (meaning, math, reading, writing) at the same time?

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-29-2019, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sometimes I feel so badly for the little ones who struggle.

In our system, if we are heading for testing for learning disabilities, we have to RTI in all subjects that we want the student tested for. That makes it hard when you have someone who is far behind and needs everything, but if we don't show that they aren't making progress in an area, they won't be tested (or receive help) in that area.

It is totally impossible to teach a student and RTI them in all subject areas. I use the 5 minutes I have to pull the student to reteach or aid the student as the class works as my RTI for everything but the one subject I actually pull the student for a considerable time every week.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 01-29-2019, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

IMO, that is going to be determined by the time and staff/resources you have available. In my building, we have separate RTI groups for reading and math, and then I work with Tier 3 students on literacy skills, but will also work on processing when it is impacting decoding or comprehension.
Ideally in RTI your student is receiving grade level core instruction as well, so there are also issues with where all of that time for interventions would come from. In my building, we would address as much as we can, but for some students it is not possible to address all deficit areas at once sometimes.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-29-2019, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids who are just far behind in everything-or at least too many things- I pick 1-2 specific skills in the main 2 domains- reading, math problem solving. I dont usually include writing if we are already are working on reading and math, but if I will if the issue is clearly a writing or fine motor issue and not a language arts issue.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote