Need advice on being a first year teacher with staff that hate me? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Need advice on being a first year teacher with staff that hate me?

>

Abbydualcert

Need advice on being a first year teacher with staff that hate me?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently graduated from college and I am certified in childhood education and special education. I worked at a special needs preschool throughout college. When I graduated my old boss offered me a special ed pre-K position I couldnít turn down. I came in mid year with no materials for me to use from a previous teacher, and working with TAís who are all very close and do not like change in the slightest. They were not happy when I came in and wanted to revamp some things even though I gave ample opportunities for input. I found out that one of my TAs who seems to be the ring leader of the rest wanted my position but didnít get it. Since then all the TAs have been bullying me (theyíre all easily 40+ years older than I am). They tell me my ideas are dumb, I hear them whispering behind my back. On top of feeling overwhelmed and underqualified I feel alone with no help. My assigned mentor is friends with the TA that wanted me job, and since this position it not through a district but somewhere else. Itís too small of a place to get a new mentor. My boss is aware but hasnít necessarily helped and knows the women are mean. Theyve scared subs out of wanting to be in my room! I feel like everyday Iím flying by the seat of my pants because coming in mid year Iíve had no time to prep since I just had to do all my qharterlies. There are things I think that need to be revamped or taken a different approach with. But my staff fight me and makes it hard for me to feel like I can do new things, and I need the support from them because I really donít know what Iím doing...Iíve only been here a month and itís not my certification area I have to certify down. Help me please!

Abbydualcert is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Personally, I wouldn't worry about changing a whole lot now. Even though you have worked there, you are in a different position and I am sure that doing what has been done isn't going to hurt this year and it will be easier on you to go with the group. Then, spend your summer getting things prepped for next year. Come in with a plan to get the TA's on board, or a plan for getting them to show their hands to the p.

Coming in mid year is tough enough without going against the grain.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Midyear
Old 01-29-2019, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would have a sit down, come to Jesus meeting with them, in a kind tone.

ďI know I came mid year. But I am the teacher. I hope we can work together for the good of the kids.Ē
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote
documentall

documentall

Old 01-29-2019, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I really don't know what to say to help you out. However, if the mentor does not help you, you need to document this. I get that they are reluctant to help you but your mentor has a professional responsibility to help and guide you. If she doesn't she must be taken out of that roll. It is not to your advantage to have a mentor that dislikes you. She could actually make your life even more stressful. We really don't want that.

It may not be this way at all with your mentor. But just in worse case scenario you should be documenting lack of support. I would also document the ring leader. I am so sorry for you. This is more work on you, i know. I am sorry. This is a hostile environment. I wish I could be there to hold your hand and tell you everything is going to be OK. Sending you good vibes and good luck wishes.

Surly

It's got to be difficult coming in mid-year
Old 01-30-2019, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Even under the best of circumstances.

It sounds like you're dealing with people who just crave drama, and they target new people to get their fix because new people don't have any political allies. It's a strange bully mentality that's probably all about them and nothing to do with you or your methods. If you want to stay at this school, I'd just be polite and deferential while continuing to do what you're doing, and if you're back next year, the people who are giving you a hard time will probably see you as somebody who isn't going anywhere and move on to their next source of drama. I've seen new people get all kinds of undeserved flack and criticism by people who just like drama. By the next year, the people who were all up in arms have moved on to something else.

If you don't want to stay at the school, I'd still be super polite and professional in an effort to do all I could to get a good reference from the principal in my search for work elsewhere.

I know this seems counterintuitive because, in theory, they're there to help, but I would involve administrators as little as possible in this, even if you're right in the matter. As a new person, getting administrators involved is most likely going to backfire. I wouldn't say a word negative to anybody in your school.

Last edited by Surly; 01-30-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
gettingthere3

gettingthere3

Old 01-30-2019, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I work in a setting similar to yours. I think one of the most important things is to figure out is which battles to pick. With students and coworkers. Unless the room was in a deep mess when you took it over, I would keep it going as it was but slowly start to tweek things to make them work better. I agree with pp - use the next four month to steady yourself and start next year with the changes you want. Most important: As a teacher and as a leader in the classroom everyone will regulate of you. If you give the impression of not feeling qualified, being overwhelmed, or in over your head your team will either give up or run roughshod over you in an attempt to steady the ship. I have seen both happen in other classroom and it is painful to watch unfold. You will need to be in control of you before you can control a classroom. Doesn't mean that everyone expects you to be an expert or great at everything. Give your TAs credit for the things they shine at, and give them responsibilities in those areas. Make sure you do at least equal amounts of the hard stuff - for example dealing with behavior issues- those are the areas that signal to students and staff who is in charge and it sets the tone of how you want things handled. I also agree with pp to have a sit -down with your TAs. In the end you all want what is best for the kids and in the end you will only get there if you have a respectful working relationship.
Cinderella00
Old 01-30-2019, 09:28 AM
This message has been deleted by Cinderella00.

cutecat

Old 01-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

So sorry you are going through this. I still struggle to figure out why some adults in our schools need to bully others. It has always bothered me!!! The first thing you need to understand is that this is a reflection on them...not you. Take the higher road...be professional, kind and giving. Don't fuel drama in any way and just do the best you can. Look for joy with the kids and remember why you went into this profession. Take one day at a time and focus on the short term. This will pass! I have taught for a long time and I have had experiences where I have worked with the kindest most caring people and other times I have worked with ones who were not so nice. Each year is different. It takes a lot of strength inside to be the kind one...but you can do it and you can make a positive impact in your current situation. Stay strong!
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Abbydualcert, firstly, so very sorry this is happening. And you probably don't want to start taking legal action being the new person although you could sue for them for creating a hostile work environment, I'm sure. I hope you've been documenting everything they all do and say all this time.

Yet, if you quit, which I might personally try to do anyway, they'll be laughing about it that they got you outta there. But that wouldn't bother me, it would just be great knowing I won't have to see their bitchy, backstabbing mugs ever again.
Tough situation to be in for sure! And you can even trust your mentor because she's friends with "them".

What do you plan to do? I hope someone here can give you advice. I agree not to make drastic changes. Gradually add a new spin or two on things of YOUR choice maybe each school year.
I also agree with the nice positive chat to start off on the right foot.
I agree with documentall too!

So you were alright to work with back when you were working there all throughout college like you said you were, but when you're now the permanent person in there, those immature bitches don't like it in the least! I hate that.

Two very, very minor similar situations happened to me like that, but nothing to sue about:

#1 issue - I was a long-term sub working with the same people throughout the years on/off at this pretty big district, but when I got hired in there, I can sense this bitchy vibe from a lot of them (older as well) because I'm on their same job level now. Fortunately, I didn't have to work with them much or see them on any daily basis.

#2 issue - I got hired to be a special ed teacher for a tiny district. They didn't have a permanent TA for me, but the time I was there, they put in this (also) older bitch who'd been around for yrs, knew everyone, etc. I can tell she resented having to listen to me, not that I bossed her around at all. Glad I was only there that 1 yr, but the TA didn't have anything to do with my leaving. Had I stayed, I would have just put up with her bitchiness I guess...unless it got severe.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote