Help

The VENT

Dwindling math time

>

MissAgnes

Dwindling math time
Old 01-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My math block is from 9:00-9:55 or 10:10 (depending on the day). School starts at 9am, so instruction time is already cut into. Monday morning we have National Anthem, pledge, as well as announcements. Today we had attendance sprint (all students with 100% attendance last week get to run the halls with the principal). So now my 70 minute block, of which I usually get 45 (with 25 of that mandated by the district for MathWhizz), is cut to 40 minutes.
This is ridiculous. I like our new P, but this is not a good idea.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Switch schedule?
Old 01-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you switch your schedule? I always make sure my math and Reading/ELA is not near times that could cause it to dwindle (morning announcements, specials, recess, etc.). If you can switch your schedule and start your day with something where time isn't as important (I hate to say it, but science and social studies), that may help.

I'm not familiar with Math Whizz, but can it be done at a separate time? Do math whizz in part of the day and do the other math stuff later?

When you say school starts at 9:00, do the students come in at 9? or earlier? If they come in earlier, could you have something math related for them to work on as morning work? Maybe a review from the day before, a warm-up, etc.? Just some ideas!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Our schedules are set in stone.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is no wiggle room. We have to fit in 130 minutes of Language Arts, along with 40 minutes of intervention, and specials. We have 30 minutes 3 days a week that is dedicated to SEL, Science and Social Stuides. It's tight. It's also the reason I can't put MathWhizz in at another spot.
School starts at 9am, kids start coming at 8:50. I have them log onto MathWhizz as soon as they get in the classroom, so that helps.
It's just frustrating that the P keeps adding silly stuff in.

Izzy23

Old 01-28-2019, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can you request that the silly stuff be done at the end of the day? For my class, starting school with running through the halls would make it a hard transition to quiet class time. I'd rather they do that at the end of the day and then go home.

Maybe other teachers feel the way you do and you could all approach the P together.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Old 01-28-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Silly rah-rah stuff keeps getting added at our school, as well.

Apparently admin has decided that this nonsense is more important than instruction!

desert flower

Flip schedule
Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I starting flipping my schedule almost every day. I found when I did this, we got a lot of things done quicker in an hour when it would have taken 2 hours with old schedule. I think they are just ready to work when they come in first thing, so it goes by quicker. I put math block in right after lunch instead of first thing in the morning. It gives us 90 minutes before heading out to a 2nd recess. My students love when I flip my schedule.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I wish i could do that.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have no control over our schedule. We have to have a 90 minutes Language Arts block, and due to specials, lunch/recess, the only time we can do that is after lunch. Previous years we had math after recess, and it worked out much better.