Help

The VENT

Not sure how much longer I can do this.

>

Mrs. Bee

Not sure how much longer I can do this.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was looking at one venting post, and the poor teacher mentioned something about paddling. While that, in itself, could be a whole separate issue, I don't think the teacher meant for that to be the intended topic.

Too many of us have been teaching a long enough time to remember when it was fun, and when the students knew what consequences were. Now, besides teaching reading, writing, math, social studies, and science, we're now having to teach social and emotional learning because homes aren't doing it.

At my school, and at others, we're (classroom teachers) encouraged to develop a 'calming corner'. And when a student shouts obscenities about faculty (and I'm talking about a 2nd grader) they're taken out, but have been brought back in about a half hour. A young colleague of mine was
hit and kicked, and had a chair thrown at her, but once again, this child was allowed to come back into the classroom on the same day.

I honestly don't know what the answer is, but my kids all grew up in this district and I never felt the discipline/consequences given to them or any of their peers was out of line.

I'm not sure about any of you but we're not even told why we're taking, what most people would find, as a soft approach to discipline. I have three kids and one was spanked every so often because time outs didn't work for her. I'm proud to say she didn't go out and beat anyone up because of aggression and even went on to graduate from college with degree in criminal justice. She worked at a juvenile detention center where kids earned their time to be released, but she noticed a trend of them coming back and she often remarked it was because they felt safe with the boundaries they were given in the center, whereas when they were out on their own, they couldn't adhere to their choices.

Many of us are leaving the field because it's now more pressure, and that's just sad. With what's going on with the behavior issue, we're also supposed to be helping them raise their scores or else we're put on action plans and possibly let go.

Like I said, I don't have all the answers but I saw what it used to be like and how much fun I used to have. Now I resent all the work I take home, and I don't want to get out of bed in the mornings because of knots in my stomach. I see so many of my colleague fed up but they feel they're stuck and won't have any other place to go.

Any advice on what careers a former teacher could work at???

Mrs. Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Carreer
Old 01-29-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was DONE after 30 years. I retired at age 53 in 2017. I don't have a pension because I taught mostly in parochial and private schools. I am now a receptionist at a Credit Union. I love my job. I don't make a large wage, but I have great benefits, and I am putting most of my check into retirement.
Hugs and good luck!!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Careers...
Old 01-29-2019, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My public library has certified librarians, but they also have non-certified personnel who help shelve the books, help with story hour etc.

There are private tutoring companies like Huntington Learning Center that I know some people work at. Many teachers also tutor as individuals.

Some people on here have mentioned online teaching. I think there is a board devoted to that now.

Retail work if you don't mind the hours. Lots of stores seem to be looking for help in my area.

I retired in June with 42 years in. I had hoped to work a couple more years till age 66, when I will be at full social security age. Because of the things you mentioned: the lack of fun, the knots in my stomach, the not wanting to go to school because of the stress and pressure, the competition among colleagues because of the observation system, a principal who I didn't like, all the curriculum changes and on and on, I left. I have not missed it one bit and have never been happier.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 01-30-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have 27 years in...my goal is 30. I am an extremely creative person and my outlet is creating and designing cards and crafts on my free time. I have taken classes at a local craft store in this area and have already been approached about teaching classes. That is my goal when I retire....to teach and create at these classes and also work in the store. No, it won't bring in a lot of money but it fuels my passion and brings me joy. I also will have the time to attend craft shows and sell items on a site such as Etsy. I am looking forward to my new life!
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-31-2019, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Any advice on what careers a former teacher could work at???
That's the million dollar question that has come up here and there throughout the years and it's still hard to tell.

I don't think an educated, (usually) older ex-teacher who's probably in their 50s and beyond should have to resort to retail/store/restaurant jobs like when we were all back in college again at 17+ yrs old. That's sad and a shame.

I guess secretarial work IF we have the skills and not all of us automatically do.

I don't know, someone please tell me when you have some answers please!

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

meowww58

Yes, the Million Dollar Question!
Old 02-01-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Isn't that the million dollar question?!?!

I get what you're saying about classroom management, discipline, and also having to teach social and emotional skills. I recently moved to teaching ESOL/ELLs - the class sizes are smaller (but even 18, if half of them are Beginner learners, can be a challenge) and I get more one-on-one attention with the students. This helps me build better relationships with many of them than I would have during the 13 years I was a regular ed teacher with 25-32 students in a class.

With one new student I just received, he has been diagnosed with PTSD and was not even enrolled in school for the last two years. Don't imagine that was a picnic at home playing video games. He was probably dragged around everywhere, had no friends, no other kids to play with, and had major instability. Of course his behavior is often very unacceptable, but he's only been in my class about 2 weeks.

My point is - instead of giving punishments for his poor choices and behavior, I'm more concerned with teaching him my expectations and how to behave. Instead of paddling, the teacher-student relationship is key. Negotiating behavior and using poor behavior choices as teaching moments.

Hope that helps.
meowww58 is offline   Reply With Quote