Help

The VENT

Am I Wrong?

>

Gifted

Am I Wrong?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Sometimes I have classes in which I genuinely care about the students as people and want to build relationships with them. Other times, I have whole classes that I just don't feel a desire to connect with. Like I hope they do the work and maybe leave having learned something, but that's as far as my concern for them goes. Is that terrible?

Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Sounds normal to me...
Old 01-31-2019, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was teaching, I valued the relationships I was able to forge with most of my students. That being said, my last three or four years were not the greatest. Many of the students I was assigned had issues, and in general, their ability to focus and be interested in the conversations of others, including their own peers, was limited. I did have feelings for the students as individuals, but as a group, the last three or four classes just never gelled together as a cohesive, caring unit. Sometimes, we just do the best we can with what we're given and luckily, September gives us a new chance to hit the re-set button and start over.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

I can
Old 01-31-2019, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Only speak for myself, but I care about each of my students. Some drive me crazy at times. but there is always something about them that I find redeeming. Especially once I have actually tried to get to know them and build a relationship.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Relationships
Old 01-31-2019, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it is very normal. Some classes clicked with me...often it was the more quirky ones. And even in the really challenging classes, there were a handful I liked and would often go out of my way for them.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 01-31-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it is human nature I wouldn't beat myself up about it.

JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well, your students are just people-just smaller in size and knowledge than any other groups of people. Do you always connect with all people? I am gonna guess not and I am sure that the idea of becoming friends with every person you meet sounds ridiculous, right. Most of us dont. We do our best for them and hope things go well for them in the future but we arent always gonna miss every group when they are gone.

My class last year had some cool little people in it, but on the whole I was not sad to see them go come June. As a class we did not click. This years class I know I will miss, even though they make me loopy sometimes. They are also harder in many ways than last years kids but for whatever reason I just click with them.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Liking and caring
Old 02-01-2019, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I care about all of my students, but I do not always like all of my students.

I work hard to find redeeming features and to nurture what is good in each kid whether I like them or not.

Last year the kid I liked least at the beginning of the year was truly one of my favourites by the end. He was still driving me crazy, though

I think it would be tougher.for high school teachers who don't have as much time to get to know their students well.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
LaPomRouge

LaPomRouge

Old 02-01-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. You are just being human. This is another unreasonable expectation that has been placed on teachers. However, you do must fake it until you make it. Even though we don't have to like every single student, our main responsibility is to teach all with respect and give them the same opportunities. That 's it. Other than that, I am sure you are a wonderful fine fine teacher. Cheers!

Tounces

Not
Old 02-01-2019, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No itís not terrible. One thing Iíve tried in the past was to focus on anything good that happened in the class. Even if itís minor, it will help you feel better. Also write them down. I had a calendar book so I could look back, reflect, and look for patterns. It might just grow.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Yes
Old 02-01-2019, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

100% normal. It isnít realistic to expect a teacher to absolutely adore every student. Sometimes there are kids that we just donít like. Even in SPED, where all of my kids have issues that might otherwise drive the average person nuts, I have those I love and those Iím just ho hum about. As long as youíre still approaching each kid and classroom with professionalism, I donít see anything wrong with the way you feel.

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 02-01-2019, 11:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Im 18 years in. This is the first year that I've felt the same as you. I have 4 years until retirement. I'm afraid that I will be stuck 8n this mode until then.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 02-03-2019, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes you are perfectly normal. We are just people. We are not magical unicorns spraying rainbows out of our butts. There are people that are just not very likable. There are kids that are just rude spoiled brats. You still do your best to teach them every day, but you are not going to just love every kid every year. I think a lot of teachers tend to try to paint these "magical" pictures that aren't reality because.....well I don't know why. Pinterest. Looking good. Who knows.

Last year I absolutely LOVED my 2 classes. I would have taken these kids home with me. I still miss them. This year....not so much.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote