Help

The VENT

Stupid luncheons

>

SwollenAnkles

Stupid luncheons
Old 01-28-2019, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is a silly vent, but tired of it. We are assigned a month that we have to contribute to a potluck luncheon. We did soup and salad today. I went to a restaurant supply place in town, bought a huge bag of frozen soup, $15.00! Lugged the stupid crockpot to work and then no one ate the soup! It was good Tomato Basil Ravioli. Next time I bring plates or napkins or nothing! This has happened before. Iím done. They didnít need my contribution! I donít think they would have even noticed if I didnít bring anything.

SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 01-29-2019, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hate being forced to contribute to things like that. I once had to give $15 to help buy a gift for a principal I absolutely hated.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 01-29-2019, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My last few years teaching I didn't participate in potluck events. It was just too much to do on top of everything else.

Last edited by travelingfar; 01-29-2019 at 05:24 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 01-29-2019, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school had a pot luck taco bar and about half the staff got sick from food poisoning They think it was the chicken taco meat. Something to think about!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-29-2019, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to hate those. (Iím retired now.) Just bring rolls or drinks or something easy like that. I never ate at them and really resented being forced to participate.

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-29-2019, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I donít participate in those. I stay in my room and eat my own lunch.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-29-2019, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We only have 3-5 people on ours, so usually everything is eaten up. What isn't is often kept until the next day when it disappears. We have never had people get sick in my 13+ years here.

We have a big luncheon once or twice (used to be more often) and there is always leftovers. Of course, there has to be because if most people bring a dish to share, there is no way we could eat it all. At our last one I was a little miffed because I had quite a bit leftover and was planning on it feeding my family. When I went to pick up my dish someone had liked it, so they took the rest of it to take home! I got over it quickly, but....

I remember our last cafeteria manager coming in after we had eaten and filling up plates to take home to her family. I really had a laugh at that - but wondered. Is that okay? Shouldn't we all be doing it then?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-29-2019, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We used to do that too and I hated it because I couldnt always afford it and I struggle with spending money for stuff like that and then having to go home and serve a lot of Top Ramen to make up for it, or tell my child no we didnt have money for something for him because I had to waste it on food for people who all have 2 income households and more money than us.

Me an 1 other teachers who was in the middle of a divorce and not getting any financial support from her ex finally asked the sunshine comity if we could not do this any more because its can be a burden for some of us.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

We have a sunshine fund
Old 01-29-2019, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

that funds a once a month "breakfast" that consists of bagels, juice, coffee and tea. At the start of the year groups of teachers will select a certain month to add food to the breakfast. They will talk together to add fruit and other breakfast dishes so they don't have too much of one thing. No one has to sign up to bring more food.
We have a great staff and this once a month breakfast is a great way to get to see everyone, other than at a staff meeting.

There are better ways to plan these get togethers. I am sorry that your food was left over. That is always disappointing.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 01-29-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Your soup sounds tasty! I would have eaten it!

I don't like potluck days either, because I am no cook. I bring drinks or candy or something. But more and more I just skip it. It's a lot of work for a non-talented chef like me, and I don't have time. Don't feel bad about skipping next time!

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have a Staff Luncheon every Thursday all year, but the PTA is in charge of it. Each week, a different class is responsible for providing lunch to the staff. The room parents decide what they're serving and they plan, serve, and clean up from it.

It's a lovely program and well appreciated by the staff.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Luncheons...
Old 01-29-2019, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have birthday breakfasts that each grade level group of teachers does to celebrate birthdays. Our grade level had June, and we did a salad lunch. People brought their regular lunches and could add the different types of salads to it. I would not sign up and contribute and then bring my own lunch if you were not interested. I find it is often impossible to figure out what will get eaten and what won't, especially if there is a lot of foo.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Do luncheons work well?
Old 01-29-2019, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We tried that and found that the teachers who had their students scheduled for the first few lunch times had a great salad with lots of mix ins.
The last 2 lunches basically had iceberg lettuce and croutons.

Besides the idea was for all of us to be together and not just share food with the group we always eat with.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Besides the idea was for all of us to be together and not just share food with the group we always eat with.
That wouldn't work at my school because each grade level has lunch at a different time.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I hate these, too...
Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Between my food allergies, my vegetarianism, and my lack of immune system, eating food made by others is usually a no-go, so I avoid these things if I can. Our parent group makes us lunch every few months, and I go to be polite, but usually end up eating iceberg lettuce and rice. Several years ago for the staff welcome back breakfast I made a spectacular fruit tray with like three different kinds of fruit dip that is so well-received everywhere I take them that people are usually licking the bowls. This time, not a soul touched the fruit or the dips. I felt like a donkey re-packing up all the fruit and spooning the dips out of the trays and back into tupperware. An absolute donkey. I am now permanently in charge of bringing orange juice and lemonade to all staff breakfasts. I don't cast my culinary pearls before swine.

NJ Teacher

Chipmunky...
Old 01-29-2019, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We solved that problem by reserving food for all of our lunch periods, not just putting everything out for the first lunch. We all are not eating together in my school because we have three separate lunches. You always eat with your group because everyone else is teaching. There is very little overlap in my school.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
LalapaloozaD

LalapaloozaD

Old 01-29-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This is not a silly vent at all. Actually, it is very serious to me. I had a hard time with colleagues who want me to shove their food down my throat no matter what. Why don't they understand that I just can't eat anything. I have a lot of gastrointestinal issues and it was non of their business what was wrong with me. I shouldn't have to explain my health conditions to noone for them to understand that not everyone can participate. They should just have accepted that I physically could not eat it instead of going around accusing me of insulting them by refusing to eat it. I came many times home ill after eating their food. There was this particular time during the Christmas party that I had to eat or else. Well, I spent my two weeks of vomiting and not holding any food at all at home. Everyone came back energized in January except me because of the darn Christmas dinner. Teachers need to be more sensitive to others and stop assuming things about others.

Just to be honest, there was only one time that I didn't eat because well I was grossed out and God know what would happened to my intestines if I took a chance. The librarian and the secretaries were preparing the fruit salad without gloves, eating pieces of the fruits, laughing and gossiping right on top of it. The only times though. Thanks.

Haley23

Old 01-29-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I hate stuff like that too. Even though I can afford it, I don't like being asked to spend money on something like this. And I worry about the costs for teachers who truly can't afford it. Salaries do not match COL AT ALL in my area. The housing boom only happened within the past 5-8 years, so there are many older teachers who already have houses and aren't in the same situation. They don't seem to realize how it can be for people just starting out now. I've honestly worried about how our brand new teachers are just surviving on their salaries- and that's without putting money into stupid potlucks!

We used to have one at every "half day Friday," which was about every other week. The sunshine committee thought it was a great idea. It was a huge burden- not just the costs but also having "one more thing" on your plate to do every other week. Thankfully new P got rid of those.

Sunshine committee couldn't handle doing nothing, so now each team is assigned a month to do a soup luncheon. I'm already dreading our month, but at least it's only one time . I'm single and don't even own one of those gigantic crock pots everyone else is bringing their soups in. I'm hoping my team will let me get away with bringing bread and butter.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

soup
Old 01-29-2019, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My school did a soup lunch thing one year that was well done. It was only over the winter months and was once a week I think. But it was totally optional and if you signed up to participate you ate the soup. And if you didn't sign up, you didn't. The leader divided up those who signed up between the weeks so you ended up bringing soup once a month and then had about 3-4 soups to pick from at lunch (or have a little of each). People would bring some bread to go with and then you brought anything else you needed. I participated b/c I love soup. Maybe 1/3 of staff participated.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Njteacher
Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Same goes for my school.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Kishkumen

Old 02-02-2019, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I always just buy a bag of cookies. If there are any left, I just take them home.
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Old 02-03-2019, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We do monthly luncheons by team. I contribute when it is my team's turn to do so, but otherwise, I just don't see it as a hill worth dying on. If I want to eat what is being served, I do. If not, I eat the lunch I bring with the colleagues I am usually with at that time. I don't think anyone notices what others do or do not do.
geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote