Help

The VENT

When other teachers are the problem!

>

meowww58

When other teachers are the problem!
Old 02-01-2019, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Sorry for the long post! As the ESOL teacher for my grade level, I just started giving students a state standardized English proficiency test. I have to test almost 100 students out of 500+ in the grade level. I have 3 testing sessions a day, giving each of 4 sections over two days. So 6 sessions (over 2 days) for each of the 3 sections - about 20 students in each session. Then about 4 days to test the last section. The problem is students have to report to my classroom at a set time, which may not be at the beginning of a period.

Students don't wear watches anymore really, so I am depending on the content teachers to send them to my room at the right times. I emailed very clear instructions in advance and also the day before testing. I also printed out the attachments and walked to each teacher's room and talked to each teacher about the testing schedule. I talked with EACH TEACHER face-to-face, one-on-one about what to do and how important it was.

The info is posted outside my door. I gave all 100 students involved individualized passes. Yet today, on the 2nd day of testing, it was a FUBAR situation. At the 10 am session, only 2 out of 15 kids showed up. Some students that tested yesterday showed up instead. I had to stop and look up schedules and make phone calls to get kids to report. Some teachers wouldn't answer their classroom phones and some didn't have their classroom phones set up. I got my AP to make a PA announcement to gather students and even then I was missing 2 students. Literally another ESOL teacher had to run upstairs and get a student for me. Another student, despite her name being called over the PA, failed to show up and now I have to do a make-up test just for her.

Literally, I sent 2 emails about testing this morning and still this happened. Many other teachers tried to console me later, saying how much I was appreciated and how easy I had made the instructions, not understanding how the other teachers could have messed up.

It's not like I invented this test! If I had my way, we wouldn't do it! But it's the state standardized test!

What do you do when some teachers are the problem??!!??

meowww58 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Testing
Old 02-02-2019, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a retired ESOL teacher. I always picked up students for Access testing. There is no way teachers would remember to send kids on their own.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-02-2019 at 09:01 AM..
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-02-2019, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have ACCESS teating and she comes to get them. I have great intentions of remembering butnwith so many kids going to so many different places at so many different times I forget. Save yourself the hassle and go get them.

ACCESS testing is a headache for everyone.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Timers/alarms
Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I get so overwhelmed at times I canít possibly keep up no matter how much I care or try. Have you taught in a regular classroom before? If not then you canít understand how it is.

Iíve finally starting using the timer/alarm/ reminders on my cell phone. I have timers, alarms, and reminders set through day. It has taken me awhile to start using this convenience but it is becoming a habit. Perhaps suggesting this to your classroom teachers would be helpful. Or provide them or a student with a timer set and ready to go. When the timer goes off the children take the timer and leave. The child gives you the timer back and testing begins.

I know this sounds like more work for you but in the end I think it will pay off.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

meowww58

Old 02-02-2019, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the replies! I know my post was long - so thanks for reading.

I'm testing about 22 students in many of the sessions and there are 500+ students in that grade level, located on two floors. No way I could pick them all up and start on time. We just don't do it that way at our school. It is something to think about in the future though.

I was a regular ed teacher for 13 years. I know what it's like to juggle a million things. But at some point, you have to follow through. Instead of just expecting teachers to print out my email attachments, I walked to each class with copies and talked with each teacher.

It was just a frustrating experience and probably will continue to be since I have 3 more sections to go - with at least 8 sessions. I will need at least 4 days to do speaking.

Thanks again for reading!

meowww58

timers
Old 02-02-2019, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, giving the students or teachers a timer sounds like a good idea! Thanks, this was actually a useful suggestion!

annie_g

Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I donít think you know how a regular classroom works. Remembering your testing schedule is just one of many things teachers have to remember. Iím sure they mean to send them, but they are probably in the middle of a lesson. Maybe you could text a reminder to the group of teachers. Most teachers carry their phone these days. I really think you should go easier on the teachers. While you have your job and its challenges, regular classroom teachers are juggling a lot of things at any given moment.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Frustrating...
Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I had to do things like that, as a classroom teacher, I would put a reminder note on the desks of the students involved with the time they needed to leave. That way, the odds were greater of one of us remembering. I taught third grade, so my kids could actually tell time and help be responsible for leaving. Our ESOL teacher was able to pick the students up for testing, but I understand how in your case, you couldn't.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-02-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would be so very frustrated in your position. And yet, I'm sure the classroom teachers are not intentionally being difficult, just absorbed in what they are doing and likely not understanding the impact of students being late for testing.

The timer and texting sound like helpful ideas. Also is there any chance that the P could assign an aide for those testing days and have that person round up the students?
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

TAOEP's idea
Old 02-02-2019, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

of assigning an aide to the pick up duty sounds very doable.
Also, the P making an announcement to dismiss kids for testing would help a lot.
Your situation sounds frustrating.
As a general ed teacher though, I have too much to remember as it is...while I am trying to teach...
- who takes meds at what time/ 9 diff kids
- who goes to title, intervention, speech, OT, and PT, at what time/what days
Sped aides at least do pick ups and drop offs.
If they put 1 more thing on my plate to remember, I can't guarantee anything.
I'd like to be able to, but there is only so much. My brain is full!

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 02-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use my phone alarm for everything. It's always on my desk and it's set to go off at recess and lunch (we don't have bells), time to send kids to the office for medication, or for support withdrawals, or anything else really. It would be pretty simple to add an alarm to send Freddy to the ESOL teacher for tests.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Old 02-02-2019, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I can certainly understand your frustration! Are the students old enough to be responsible themselves? I teach middle school, and, other than showing me their passes, students are responsible for knowing where they are to go. I donít use my cell phone because I donít allow students to use theirs. I will answer the telephone if it isnít interrupting what we are doing. Our students are issued passes if they need to leave, but they are then responsible for leaving on time. It works for middle school, but I can understand that it wouldnít work for younger students.
geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Testing
Old 02-03-2019, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was a classroom teacher before switching to ESOL. Things got busy and hectic in my classroom, and it was easy to forget to send kids for testing.

As I mentioned earlier, I picked up students for Access assessments every year. I tested a huge number of students and managed to put together a schedule that included time for picking up kids.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

This sounds like a cluster...
Old 02-03-2019, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm a pretty conscientious teacher and I try to remember all of those "send to the offices for meds" and whatnots, but all those kids and all those different days and times??? I'm TEACHING! I would need a very solid schedule and an updated list of kids every morning, not just a "remember who needs to be tested today and send them down". I've also had the wonderful experience of sending my students down to be tested right on time, and having them return, confused, because nobody was in the testing room. Testing teachers should come pick up their kids or call for them when they're ready.
WithLoveFrom

WithLoveFrom

Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I understand your frustration on this matter. But, putting the responsibility only on the teacher it is a very unreasonable expectation IMO. I hope you don't think I am not being UN-supportive of your goals. The students and administration should have a much bigger role/responsibility in remembering these important dates and making sure students are making it to your testing center. I know that you have done a lot to make sure teachers know the dates and the students that need to be release but what have you done so far to get the students and administration involved and helping get themselves/student on time? Is this HS/MS/ES? What level?

Haley23

Old 02-03-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I totally understand your frustration and agree that the classroom teachers should be able to send them down. Yes I have been a classroom teacher and would have had no problem with this. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they're going to make this a priority.

If it were me, I'd save myself the headache and just pick the students up for the testing. That's what they do in my building and we're the same size as your building. You'll have to start a few minutes earlier to round them all up, but it sounds like it would waste less time than trying to call classrooms, figure out where kids are, and wait for someone to make an extra announcement.

You could still try having the teachers have the kids ready- i.e. lined up at the door and ready to go. Of course you'll have rooms where the kids aren't lined up and ready to go (hence having to pick them up in the first place) but even if a few teachers do it that saves you a little time. You could also try asking if there are any paras available to temporarily help you with this.

If your PA system works well enough, you could also just have them make an announcement each time kids need to come down for testing. We used to have an older building where some rooms could barely hear the announcements, but it depends on your set up.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote