The VENT

Emotional Abuse

>

Guest9990

Guest9990

Emotional Abuse
Old 02-07-2019, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have any of you ever dealt with a child who was a victim of emotional abuse on the part of the parents? Can anything be done? It's a he said she said and I am sure the child would not say anything but each teacher from kindergarten through 5 grade has witnessed it.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-07-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You’re a mandated reporter. It’s not your job to determine what’s true and what isn’t. If you suspect abuse of any kind you need to report it immediately and let the authorities investigate. And all of those teachers who witnessed it and didn’t report it are in danger of losing their teaching licenses.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 02-07-2019, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You need to report. Like Greyhound Girl said, you're a mandated reporter. Call and let the authorities investigate. Don't sit and wonder if it happened - let someone else figure that out.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

As a former Social Worker,
Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Emotional abuse or neglect is one of the hardest to prove. When you call it in, don't just focus on the things you have heard said and seen done. You need to also talk about the effects noticed in the child. Do you see a difference in his behavior? His educational performance? How he treats other students?

Both components are equally important. Basically, if the child is well behaved and well adjusted (as in highly adaptive with good coping skills,) and there are no to few visible effects within the child and his performance, it will be even harder to prove.

I think you need to call it in and let the professionals make the decisions. Hopefully, it will make the parents aware that people notice and don't like what is happening and they will rethink how they act.

Unfortunately, if it has been occurring for as long as you say, and they get away with it this time, a report may make it even worse on the child as the parent "will make him pay."
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is a very touchy subject. In order for CPS to do anything, it must be very severe and there must be proof that what is being said is causing problems.

It is the hardest to prove and without other abuse they probably won't do anything.

Without an example of what you are talking about, it would be hard for me to recommend that you call CPS since making a "just in case" call might actually be worse for the child.

I guess I wonder, if it has been so severe for five years why no one called before?

MAsped

Old 02-08-2019, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't the same rules regarding how to report it for suspected or known emotional the same as for physical abuse? Yes, one is hard to prove than the other.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is exactly right...

Quote:
Youíre a mandated reporter. Itís not your job to determine whatís true and what isnít. If you suspect abuse of any kind you need to report it immediately and let the authorities investigate. And all of those teachers who witnessed it and didnít report it are in danger of losing their teaching licenses.
Call today. What CPS chooses to do after that is up to them.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 02-08-2019, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I wonder, if it has been so severe for five years why no one called before?
If I had called I wouldn't be telling anyone at school. I'd be afraid that it would get back to the parents. I've had a parent threaten me because he thought I was the one who made the call. I wouldn't have wanted someone to confirm to him that he was right.

The OP doesn't know if someone called and CPS visited. The OP doesn't know if CPS closed a case or offered services. All the OP knows is that she suspects abuse. And as a mandated reporter, suspected abuse needs to be reported.

Emotional abuse is hard to prove. One call probably isn't enough, but a trail of calls spanning years may be enough to get the family some services.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Tough spot
Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

cps could make it worse on the child and they seldom help kids here due to overload.
If you are worried about it, block your number when you call. best wishes.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote