Help

The VENT

Rose Colored Glasses

>

Overlightnes

Rose Colored Glasses
Old 02-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just need to vent. I'm so tired of the people at my school who want to do things just because "it's how we've always done it" or "if it was good enough for me, it's good enough for them." Wanting to switch things up or listen to new research is not a bad thing. Just because people "think" it worked 20 years ago, doesn't mean it actually worked years ago. I'm not saying we should throw out everything, but if it's not working why are we beholden to it?

Grow, adapt, change, stop trying to live the same year for 30 years. Or better yet, let me teach my class and you can teach your class. If what you are doing is so wonderful and great, why do you feel the need to force me into your "traditions?" I'm teaching the kids I have this year, not the kids I had 15 years ago.

Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

True
Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

But my school is just the opposite. We jump on every new bandwagon that comes along and it makes my head spin.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
But my school is just the opposite. We jump on every new bandwagon that comes along and it makes my head spin.

Yep, this happens in my school too. Neither extreme is helpful. I wish we could all just focus on finding what *actually* works for kids, and remember that it may differ from class to class and from teacher to teacher! I'm so sorry that people are trying to force you to do what they're doing, when you know what works for your students!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Head spin
Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school/district is in the "head spin" zone. I want us to sit down and evaluate the effectiveness of all these new programs, strategies and such.

I donít know the real goals except for improved student scores on state tests.
I donít know the timeline for all these mandates.
What do I need to do by when?
How will we achieve this?
How do measure success besides state test scores?

This year weíre working on Kagan engagement strategies, Leader in Me, PBIS (Positive Behavior in School), John Hattie's visible learning and DOK. And...visually posting student objectives for EACH lesson.

Ugh!
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-10-2019, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think what is beautiful about teaching is we get to make our own, informed decisions about what methods, programs, strategies, etc. that work for us and our particular students.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Zia
Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wish that was true in my district. We’re pretty much told how to do everything we do.

Last edited by kidsrme11; 02-10-2019 at 03:32 PM..
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That stinks. Our admin and IC say we are beholden to the standards, not a curriculum. It's actually in our contract we don't HAVE to use district-purchased curricula.

Again, I am reminded how fortunate I am.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

Just because an idea is new
Old 02-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Doesn't mean it's good. Ideas should be judged only on their quality and real-world feasibility.

It seems to me that underlying many of the new approaches that are so en vogue right now is an advocation of less structure, academic rigor, and accountability for kids. I strongly object to these principles only because I can't see how they would realistically benefit most kids. Other people may believe differently, and that's fine. I believe in free thought and open debate.

Last edited by Surly; 02-10-2019 at 01:02 PM..
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 02-10-2019, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have worked in the "head spin" school and it was horrible. Every new thing that came along was purchased (the amount of money that school had was obscene), then tossed aside when the next shiny new toy appeared. Nothing was ever evaluated and, more importantly, nothing was ever given a chance to actually work. We had kids who did their seven years at the school with four different reading programs in place at different times. Insanity!

My current school is more like Zia's - do what works for you as long as you are meeting the mandated outcomes. He doesn't enforce any program, but trusts us to teach well.

Current school has much better results in testing than old school, but a lot of that is cohort (current school is white, middle class, educated; old school was low socio-economic, 65% ESL, 25% Indigenous - whichis why all the money).

I like being able to teach the way I am happy with.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I hear you on traditions
Old 02-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

OMGoodness! I moved midlife to a school steeped in traditions. It was insane. We would go on the same old field trips, do many things, celebrate certain days way over the top, and have socials that ate into my private life for a few yrs until a few of the traditionalists retired. Why? Because they were traditions was always the answer I got.
I am totally understanding of the head spinners too. We'd get new programs, books, mandates every 3-4 yrs. We even got a scripted program that was ridiculous. To the kids , it sounded like, " Blah, blah, blah!" A lot of these "new programs" are often renamed old programs. It cracks me up when consultants come in with ideas that did not work for most 20-30 yrs ago. I doubt the new name will change that.
Also, it takes at least 3 years to even get competent teaching a whole new way. The poor kids who get stuck in that 2-3 yr gap! Then by yr 4 when the teachers have the programs down better, they change the program.
Teachers need the freedom to do what works best for them and their class. You can't get that in a mandated program. Kids and teachers are such different individuals. What works for 1 may not work with others.
I think new teachers need more help, guidance, and exposure, but once you've taught successfully for yrs, you know what works for some kids and not for others. You know how to figure it out. That does not mean you are done learning, just that you have the foundations. To the PP about Kaagan, that was 1 workshop I loved. I still use parts of it. I use parts of lots of programs I have learned over the yrs.
I am glad I am at a point in my career that I can teach the way I want without much interference. If the kids learn what they need to, they leave you alone now where I am at.
The only part I dislike is the way kids are allowed to get away with really bad behaviors. Some of these new behavior programs lack any common sense. Here is a token for not spitting on someone or hitting for 30 minutes is an example. If a kid is hitting or spitting, other kids should not have to be disrupted or worried about that in a classroom. We are moving away from PBIS now unofficially after 5 yrs of it's misuse probably. Hopefully, things will get better when kids are allowed to see the consequences of their actions. ( Both good and bad choices...)

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think that when you have been teaching 20 or 30 years, and have seen tons of fads come and go, it starts to get hard to want to jump on the next new bandwagon (that, usually, is something old repackaged into something "new").

I also think that new teachers with fresh ideas, and new research that can help us be better at our craft, bring a wonderful addition to any school and classroom. Schools need new life breathed into them sometimes.

I am always willing to try something new. And if it works, great! I'll incorporate it into my day. But if it doesn't, I'm going to go back and do things the way I know are effective and developmentally appropriate. But I don't expect anyone else to do things like I do. What works for me and my kids may not work for you, and that's okay. On top of that, there are some years when I am really excited to try new things and change it up, and others where I just need to maintain the status quo so I can make it through the year.

Quote:
Grow, adapt, change, stop trying to live the same year for 30 years.
I find this a bit harsh and judgemental.

Quote:
Or better yet, let me teach my class and you can teach your class.
Just stick with this.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote