Help

The VENT

"I Don't Care"

>

Hammy6714

"I Don't Care"
Old 02-12-2019, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so sick of hearing this from students....

"I don't care........

* about school
*about this assignment
*that what I did was wrong
*what my punishment is
* if you call my parents

Here's the thing...they do care! This is just their defense mechanism and it is making my blood boil! Sorry just a pet peeve right now and it hasn't been a good day just needed to vent!

Hammy6714 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I get those responses too. I tell them that I know they do care. If they still say they don't, then I tell them I care and so does our admin, their family, etc. I usually get eye rolls. I get it, so frustrating!!!

Vent away!
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

tealsky

I hit that wall...
Old 02-12-2019, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My students started doing that recently. I kept trying to pat their backs and show them I care, but finally broke and took the advice of a veteran teacher. Now, I say, "Negative attitudes, lead to negative consequences." Then have the student turn a card, yes I use the card system, first time in YEARS, but this group of primary students really needed a visual. Then I prompted a positive response that would be acceptable.

Within two days the negativity decreased tenfold. It was amazing and I hear kids offering encouragement to others rather than whining and complaining. I think kids are learning to be so complacent in today's world that they do not realize their negativity has consequences. I would rather them learn that lesson by me pulling a card than them to have to later learn it by losing a job or a loved one when they are older.
tealsky is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

"You may care but I don't"
Old 02-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Had a student who, when a teacher said that she cared about his education, would say defiantly "You may care, but I don't"
PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

It's hard to hear.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't like the apathy and carelessness of "I don't care", even though I understand it's a defense mechanism. I don't even respond anymore to that statement, I just ignore it. I tried, "I care" and I tried, "You should care", and it's just nagging noise to an underdeveloped brain