Help

The VENT

Fun With Parents

>

Angelo

Fun With Parents
Old 02-10-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's time for another edition. What have Angelo's parents been up to this week?

Well, for your consideration.

There's Parent A who wanted to register her son to take the ACT exam. She called me up and said, "I was talking to some of the other moms..." (that never bodes well) "and they said my son can get extra time to take the ACT if you request it." I explained that, no, that's not how it works. "But they said other kids have gotten extra time." I said that's for kids with IEPs. She said, "I don't think so. They said the school just has to request the extra time." Trust me. You need an IEP to qualify for extra time, and your son doesn't have a learning disability. "Well... can you write him an IEP so he can get extra time?" No, he doesn't have a learning disability. She says, "How do you know?" I say, okay, good point. I don't know. Has he been to an educational psychologist and had an assessment done? "No, he hasn't." Well, that would be required to qualify for an IEP. "Okay," she says, "well... just go ahead and give him the testing then." I say, no, we don't do that here at the school. You need to find a psychologist and get on a list. She sighs in exasperation and says, "He could just benefit from the extra time, and why are you making this so difficult?" Yeah, and I could "benefit" from parking in the blue zone, but I'm not qualified to do so. A day later she calls back and claims she's "asked around" and knows of at least one student who got extra time without an IEP or 504 plan. I say, really? Who? She says, "I don't want to get into who. I'm just telling you I now know it can be done. Please just make the request." And... no.

Then there's Parent B who complained that I was "dismissive" with her son when he asked for help. The trouble is that he asked for help with something that has nothing to do with me. He came in and asked how do you start a new club? Okay... not really an academic counseling issue, but I went through the steps for him. You need at least ten students interested in starting a club. And then you need to find a teacher willing to supervise. Then you take a proposal to the office (costs, dates, times, facilities, etc.). After I explained all this, the kid just sort of stared at me in bewilderment. Mom called later in the day:

Parent: Mr. Angelo, I'm upset by the way you treated my son. He came to you for help, and you were dismissive.
Me: I was?
Parent: Do you know how hard it was for him to approach you for help?
Me: He asked me how to start a new club and I explained the process to him.
Parent: He wasn't asking for the process. He was asking for help.
Me: I don't understand.
Parent: He's very shy and inroverted. He has a very hard time approaching people.
Me: Okay...
Parent: He needs someone to help him set up this club. Not to tell him the process.
Me: Well, as I explained to him, he needs at least ten students and a staff supervisor...
Parent: Yes, I understand that. But he doesn't know ten students. That's the point. We want him to make some new friends. A new club would be a way to accomplish that.
Me: Well, without a critical mass of students to request the club, administration is not likely to-
Parent: That's why he needs your help. If you helped him market his club, I'm sure you could find ten kids interested. Maybe some posters or an announcement.
Me: Well, if there's a teacher willing to supervise, maybe they would know some students who-
Parent: I told you. He has a hard time approaching people. He doesn't know a teacher he feels comfortable asking.
Me: Well, I don't know anyone off the top of my head-
Parent: Why can't you do it?
Me: I don't have the time or inclination to supervise a new club. I'm doing several activities already.
Parent: Fine. Then surely you can approach some of the teachers and see if someone is willing to do it. He just needs someone to help him get this off the ground.
Me: Okay, but I don't really have time to-
Parent: What do you mean you don't have time? You are his counselor!
Me: Yes, but clubs and activities are part of the extracurricular program. That doesn't really fall under my-
Parent: You're his counselor! It's your job to help him with whatever he needs!

Uh huh. No, I'm not starting a club for a student.

Or there's Parent C who wanted to me to march down to a kid's teacher and demand that they increase his grade on an assignment because it was "blatantly unfair."

Again, nope. Not doing it.

I'm just disappointing people left, right, and center these days.

Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Wow!
Old 02-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your posts amaze, entertain and at the the same time make me shake my head in disbelief.

I am glad you don't give in to the whims.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

OMGoodness!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hope we don't have to vote on this 1! lol
1. asking you to write an IEP for her son to get more time
2. It is the mom's job to help her child out of the shyness. How many yrs has this kid known less than 10 students? Throw a party w/ some theme (that doesn't include booze or drugs.) Take kids to do activities together...her mom skills are lacking...
3. Grade changing demand.... GRRRR
Your parents almost always take the cake!!! So glad I am not there! I'd enjoy your humor, but do not know how you can deal w/ these spoiled entitled parents!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 02-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a feeling that you can almost write the script that the parents will say after the first sentence or two. I'm sure not all parents are so demanding but you really have some parents who feel entitled. How will their kids ever make it through the first semester of college?
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Entitled parents
Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ugh. Double ugh. Maybe you could point out to Parent B that starting a club and having to approach others is a great way for their shy kid to practice social skills which should be a main point of the whole enterprise. He's not going to develop any increased confidence or make any new friends if an adult does all the legwork for him!

I can't imagine dealing with such frustrating and crazy parents. Your tongue must be frequently bloody.

Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 02-10-2019, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

RE: parent B ...
I would seriously question whether this new club is the kid's idea and desire. Sounds like it's something MOM and Dad want more than the kid.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Never mind.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I must admit..
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't feel your pain because I worked in a public school and taught first grade. I had my share of wacky parents, but their craziness fades in the shadow of these people.

As far as the student wanting to start a club (as if! His parents want him to start a club) does your school have a guidance counselor? The problem won't be solved by having a club, the problem will be only solved by this young man working with someone to give him the tools he needs to be able to approach people and make friends on his own. There are ways to help young people to accomplish this. They will probably never be the life of the party or voted most popular, but there are ways to help them. You are right, you are not in any way expected to be involved in this.

Parent C- oh how funny would it be if you marched down to the teacher and demanded to have the grade looked at again and they found more errors that they missed the first time and lowered the grade! Maybe, lie to the parents and tell them that has happened in the past? Just kidding I just never could lie to parents. However, rumors like that do have a positive effect.

Any way..how do you do it with these parents every day?
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

I can predict Parent B's son's future.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Well, at least I can make a good prediction about his college years. I heard this gem on the radio this morning:

Girls at Towson Univ in Maryland complained to the campus police that they were being approached on campus by a woman who was showing them a picture of her son on her phone, and asking them if they would go on a date with him. The mom explained that her son is very shy, so of course that makes it completely acceptable to walk into a college campus building and ask random girls if they would agree to a date. The girls all reported the mom wasn't pushy or rude, just asking them if they would consider going out w/ her son.

I have 2 college age sons, one of whom is not as outgoing as the other, but they seem to be able to manage their social lives just fine, including dating. Hmmm...maybe I'm missing something. I should probably find time to go up to the college and troll for dates for my sons. You know, just in case they need assistance.

Last edited by mooba1; 02-11-2019 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: added college name/location
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

please
Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

keep the stories coming. I actually get angry for you, but you seem to handle it really well.

peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yikes! I just love your stories and descriptions!
ElemSped13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Your writing is amusing as always!

Parent A - Wants to game the system.

Parent B - Probably just wants to pad kid's college applications. But if serious, I'm sure there's a bulletin board where students can post a "feeler" for a club. - If your kid is too shy to approach people, suggest he make a simple poster and sign-up sheet (so far, no talking required), tack it up, and see if anyone less shy responds.

Parent C - Believes grades are awarded to parents for paying tuition, rather than to students for doing the schoolwork.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 02-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

To Parent C...
"I feel your pain. I want someone to change my paycheck. It's blatantly unfair, too!"
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
to parent c...
"i feel your pain. I want someone to change my paycheck. It's blatantly unfair, too!"
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote