Help

The VENT

Just a gripe...

>

SoDone

Just a gripe...
Old 02-08-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I graduated about as soon as the recession began years ago and immediately moved to another state (got married). I spent 4 years there never finding a permanent job because I had no connections anywhere and was new when schools were laying off/rehiring their own. Moved back home and took the first job I could - teaching ELA. I've been teaching ELA ever since because that's what was needed at both school and that's where my experience lies. With so much pressure now and the push to be a robot, I no longer have any passion for this subject. It's not fun. I can't make it fun because that's not in the mandated scripted curriculum. My classes are huge and full of discipline issues and admin breathe down our necks daily looking for "fidelity" and "rigor".

My love? History. It's been my goal and I even interviewed for a position at a different district mid-year (no luck). My problem seems to be that I don't coach anything. Every history teacher at my school (and many others in the area) are also coaches. I'm sorry I'm not athletically inclined enough to get myself out of ELA but I really need a break from the stress. I rode horses and swam competitively but neither of those are a thing at the middle school level (our schools don't have pools either).

Those not in education don't seem to understand that we aren't necessarily teaching a subject we want to teach. I'm high qualified in everything K-8 but when I need a job, I do what the school wants and I may or may not ever get to change. I'd like the chance to see how it feels to not be under such scrutiny before Science and SS become the focus as well. Not sure how it is in other places but ELA and Math seem to be the only classes that matter. We have 90 mns whereas they stuck Science and SS with 45. Stupid move.

SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

It's always been an unwritten rule around my
Old 02-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Area that people who teach history were required to coach, and usually they were hired explicitly to coach. It kind of sucks for good history teachers who aren't into coaching.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can relate. My heart was in classroom teaching but I took a sped job right out of college in order to have a job. At the time, the job market was horrendous and there were thousands applying for a single position. I knew many, many hopeful elementary teachers who just gave up all together.

Miraculously, I landed a gen ed position in a different district my 3rd year of teaching- and then quickly figured out why I'd had such an easy time getting hired. The district was awful and had a reputation for firing all of their teachers every year, among other issues (I relocated from a different part of the state, so had no insider knowledge of that).

I had to take another sped job to get out of that nightmare of a district and have been in my current position for 6 years now and have certainly pigeon holed myself as a sped teacher now. At this point, I'm not even sure I'd want a gen ed job as I'm now in my 9th year of teaching and wouldn't want to basically "start over" in a totally different position.

Sometimes I do wish I would have held out for what I really wanted, but who knows- maybe I would have never ended up teaching at all that way. A couple of years ago, I went to have lunch with my dad at school over a break and noticed that were numerous teachers my age who were in their first year of full time teaching after "putting in their time" as subs or paras. I was on my 7th year at the time. I am certainly glad I wasn't in that position!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

A common joke is: What is the history
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

teacher's name?
Answer: Coach!
I think it is the same all over. I loved history too, but seldom got a chance to teach it over the yrs.
I know scripted programs are awful for teacher morale and kids. ( Been there...) I hate the word fidelity with a passion!
The best advice I can give you is to save your money and keep applying. 1 may come open.
If you can afford to quit, and you are really unhappy, that is an option.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

It's possible
Old 02-09-2019, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My daughter graduated with a degree in History. (I advised her not to get a liberal arts degree, but I digress) Couldn't find a job. Went to Korea to teach English for two years. She decided to come home and get a Masters degree in education. When she finished her masters and got her endorsement, she applied both in our state and in Texas. She was offered a job at a charter school in Texas and has been there for six years. Ironically, on the day school began in Texas, she was offered a job here in Virginia that she had really hoped for.

She doesn't coach and is not athletically inclined. Her charter school pays her more than I get.

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

JackandSally

Seeing a change
Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my state, coaches are being hired for special education positions now over history positions because Sped is not a tested subject for growth. Thatís frustrating because I wanted to move to the local high school but both sped positions were being saved for coaches. A friend who is a coach shared with me that the district I want to move into actually called him and told him to add on special education as an endorsement so he could be hired to coach football. Very frustrating.
JackandSally is offline   Reply With Quote

LMS06to13

History teachers coaches
Old 02-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That's just crazy to me, I mean I know that more often than not, the history teacher(s) also coach, but my dad taught history for 30 years, and didn't coach anything at the school. Neither did his best friend, also a history teacher at the same school. I wonder why it's always the history teacher that's a coach? You'd think it'd be the PE teacher all the time (which makes sense).
LMS06to13 is offline   Reply With Quote