Help

New Teachers

Student teaching

>

mlk56

Student teaching
Old 01-29-2018, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is the best advice to offer someone who is student teaching and is being placed on an improvement plan? This individual tries hard and puts forth a lot of effort and is now devastated and considering quitting.

mlk56 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodes12

Old 02-23-2018, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm currently a student teacher, and I just got my midterms evaluation, so I might be able to help give perspective. Student teaching is hard. A lot of us assumed that we would just take to it like a fish to water. We love kids, and up until student teaching, a lot of our experience was in controlled environments where we excelled because it was simple.

Personally, when that happened to me (or is currently happening) my first thought process was that I wasn't a natural, and therefore couldn't be a good teacher. A lot of the time, teaching is a profession that is seen as a profession where you can either do it, or you can't. This attitude is very demoralizing to student teachers, who are just barely getting their feet wet into the world of teaching.

I would reassure your student teacher that teaching isn't something that can't be improved or learned through practice. I try to remind myself when my day doesn't go too well that I'm learning. My classroom management isn't the best. It can only improve after practice and experience though.

Basically, my advice is to tell the student teacher that an improvement plan is just that, a plan to help you improve. It's not a sign that you can't get better, nor is it a sign that they aren't designated to be a teacher. teaching is something that takes time to get a handle on. For some people that takes a few months.
bodes12 is offline   Reply With Quote

NewGrandma1

Student teachers
Old 03-01-2018, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

have a difficult job, particularly when they are brought on the second semester of the school year. The classroom teacher has his/her routine established with the students, and sometimes do not want to hand off to a brand new teacher in training. I supervise student teachers for the local college. Some have needed more help than others. It would be very disheartening to be put on an improvement plan. I would suggest that the ST still dig in and try to learn all that he/she can. To work on addressing the areas that were mentioned in the improvement plan. This would be a time for the ST to seek out help. Who put the ST on the plan - - the college supervisor? Does the classroom teacher agree??
NewGrandma1 is offline   Reply With Quote