Help

Career Decisions

Probably changing districts

>

mrteacherguy

Probably changing districts
Old 02-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any experience/advice about changing school districts?

I received a job offer with a district much closer to home (a 10 to 15 minute commute compared to my current 45 to 60 minute one). In addition, it's in an area where the local areas are growing instead of remaining stagnant (my district is closing two schools next year), and it will give me the opportunity to switch from my current content area of science and get back into math (where I've been wanting to be for more than a year now).

One of my coworker's friends had good things to say about the school and principal, so barring any major problems with benefits/salary, I'm planning on making the switch.

However, in my five years of teaching I've only been at one school, and in many ways I've grown accustomed and comfortable with where I'm at and get along well with most of my colleagues. I find myself nervous about the prospect of learning a new system and learning to work with new people.

Any advice or suggestions for how to proceed?

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

changing districts
Old 02-03-2018, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, there will be a learning curve and being nervous is normal, but you'll feel comfortable in your new setting soon enough. Based on what you have to say about the new district, it sounds like you're excited about it. Let us know what you decide!
eeza is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I expect
Old 04-05-2018, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you've checked and compared salaries and benefits. Have you also checked out the school area? Many state or district websites list testing scores and driving around the neighborhood gives you a reasonable idea of who your students and their parents might be.

I taught in poverty areas for most of my career and would be challenged by working in a higher SES area, but open to it. I worked with children from Beverly Hills at one point and found them to be just kids. Their parents were a slightly different matter. But all parents just want to know that you care about their child.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote
ccramm

ccramm

Change is Good
Old 05-15-2018, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am in the same boat. I've been at the same school for ten years and was just hired into a different district. I have the same feelings of nervousness because I have great relationships at my school and feel very comfortable. Something drove me to make this change; commute being just one small factor. I truly feel that if you feel the pull to make a change, do it! In no time you, as I, will build new relationships and feel comfortable in our new school 'homes'. Good luck!