Help

Third Grade

Novel Study

>

ely2boys

Novel Study
Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I'm looking for a new novel to read for next year. We have been reading Charlotte's Web and the Wizard of Oz the last few years and I would like to try something new. I don't think I'm emotionally ready to give up Charlotte , but I think I would replace WOO. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

ely2boys is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Read Alouds
Old 03-21-2018, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really like reading...

Because of Winn Dixie- It is a great choice for realistic fiction. The story is about a father daughter family so the single family is represented. The little girl Opal finds a dog who becomes her pet. This make all pet/ dog lovers happy. The word choice in the book is wonderful. This is a fairly short easy read.

Matilda by Roald Dahl is an excellent fantasy to read to the kids. Your students may want to try other books by this author after the read aloud. That is always a bonus. Matilda has magical powers that she uses in a fun way. She and her teacher become very close. This is a longer story so a bigger investment in time.

Roxie and The Hooligans is a newer piece of literature. It is an excellent story about becoming friends with your bullies.

Christopher Mouse: Tale of a Small Traveler is another excellent fantasy with an animal that can talk and write. But the rest of the story feels realistic. My students always wanted me to keep reading with this one.

Tuck Everlasting is a great fantasy as well. It tells a story about the pitfalls of living forever and staying young, something we all wish for but maybe shouldn't.

That is all I can think of right now.

I thought of another one that I usually read around Easter just because the plot involves an egg hatching. I always gave my students a small chocolate egg while reading this story just for fun.

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher is a great fantasy with the magic of dragons.

The same author wrote The Monster's Ring which is even better. I read this one around Halloween every year but it is a good story any time of year.

Last edited by 1956BD; 03-21-2018 at 12:54 PM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Is this to read aloud to students?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Or is it for students to read?

We read

Love Our Dog (very short) - This story makes a wonderful introduction for a poetry unit.

Little House in the Big Woods- Historical Fiction We read this novel as we studied pioneer life in social studies.

Aliens For Breakfast - Science Fiction (very short) My third graders read this while we studied the solar system in science.

Top Secret by John Reynolds Gardiner- Science Fiction- Great to read while studying plants in science.

Cam Jansen series for mystery genre (very short)

Helen Keller by Margaret Davidson for biography (very short)

The Littles for fantasy (very short)

Time Warp Trio: Knights of The Round Table- fantasy/science fiction (very short)

Fantastic Mr Fox- animal story/fantasy

The Shoeshine Girl- realistic fiction We read this when we studied economics in social studies. (very short)

Punished- fantasy This one is full of play on words. Students need knowledge of palindromes.....

Freckle Juice- realistic fiction/ humorous (very short)

Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days - humorous

Judy Moody Save The World- realistic fiction This one is great if you are studying ecology.

Last edited by 1956BD; 03-21-2018 at 04:21 PM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

ely2boys

For Read Aloud
Old 04-01-2018, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the suggestions!

laurenta

New one
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have read many of the books suggested in this thread... but thought I'd share a new one I found this year. It is called The Doll People by Ann Martin. It is a series. My third graders are LOVING this book and several are reading the others in the series. Check it out on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Doll-People-A.../dp/0786812400

laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

deansbaby67

My favorite read-alouds
Old 04-15-2018, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I ALWAYS read Charlotte's Web and Because of Winn-Dixie. This year I added Crenshaw (my kids LOVED it, it deals with some tough issues, though) and Cricket in Times Square (they loved it, as well.) We just started A Wrinkle in Time, so far, so good!
deansbaby67 is offline   Reply With Quote

ely2boys

Thanks!!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love new suggestions!