The Job Search

Can't decide between 2 jobs.

>

TXteach77521

TXteach77521

Can't decide between 2 jobs.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I can't decide between 2 jobs. They are both for French positions. The better quality school in terms of test scores and discipline is 45 minutes away. They hired me about 3 weeks ago, well they just asked me over the phone if I accepted the job and I said yes. I would also be teaching all levels of French including AP and French 5and because I am working on my French master I will be able to teach dual credit French in the future.There are also native French kids living in the area which I imagine will keep the program alive. The major drawbacks is that it's way too far, 45 minute drive without traffic and it pays around 2,500 less.

The second school is 3 blocks from my house and I have heard mixed reviews, from it being out of control as far as discipline to being ok with minor discipline problems. I would only be teaching French 1 and 2 with the possibility to grow the program.I don't really see this happenign as kids are taking less and less foreign language and what I really dream of is expanding to AP. I wouldn't be able to teach dual credit in the future because the college that is in partnership with that school district does not offer French. It does pay around 2500 more but its test scores arent all that great. They offered me the job a week ago.

Any advice as to what to pick..I want to make a decision this week but I keep going back and forth.

kahluablast

Old 05-14-2018, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For me the drive would seal the deal, unless there was an opportunity for me to move closer within the next year. An hour and a half a day is way too much time for me to spend on the road. Do you have kids or a family? Is moving a possibility?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 05-14-2018, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Like Kahluablast asked, do you have kids or a family? I commuted for 16 years about 45 minutes each way. It was a time for me to gear up on the way to school and relax on the way home. However, my family was just my husband and I as the kids were grown and out of the house. I enjoyed the drive. Sometimes it took a bit longer especially in the winter with snow, but for the most part it was quite doable.

You have more opportunities at the first school you mentioned. That would be exciting to me. You also have the opportunity to teach dual credit classes there while at the closer school you don't.

Make a list of pros and cons, evaluate, and decide. Good luck on your decision.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-14-2018, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like from what you wrote that you already accepted the first job? Am I misunderstanding?

For me, the type of commute would make a difference. 90 minutes per day in bumper to bumper traffic would drive me cray. Driving that same distance in a less busy area where I could just drive and listen to music or audiobooks wouldn't bother me as much.

Especially if there are major issues at the 2nd school, I'd take commute over that any day. Maybe see if you can observe and see for yourself. I find that we all have different tolerance levels and we all have certain types of behaviors that push our buttons more than others. You'll get a better idea if you will be happy at the 2nd school if you can see these issues first hand first.

Unless you are living hand to mouth and that 2500 is going to make it or break it for you, for me that wouldn't be as big of a factor. After taxes, it's not even going to be that much. In practice, working in a nicer/calmer environment may well be worth way more than 2500 for you.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
TXteach77521

TXteach77521

Old 05-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I accepted the fist job 3 weeks ago. The second one I accepted it a week ago. They were both letter of intent type of situations which in Texas is not legally binding because we actually have until the middle of the summer to resign from any position without penalty.

Yes the driving I would do would be across downtown which can get bumper to bumper and traffic. The 45 minutes would be closer to an hour in the drive home.

I do have a spouse but no kids. I don't really want to move because I just bought my house in November and houses are cheaper where I live.

FashionGirl

Go with your instincts
Old 05-16-2018, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I understand your dilemma, but I would go with the school that has a more supportive administration and friendlier teachers. Go with the school where you have the best "feeling" about how will succeed as a teacher.

I know a commute can be a killer, but I have taken jobs that were very close to home in order to avoid commuting, but I was completely miserable and ultimately lost my jobs. I need to work in a building that has a friendly atmosphere and will support me as a new teacher in that building.

I went on an interview a couple of months ago and as I was walking through the school's parking lot to enter the school, a teacher who was walking out of the school said hello to me...I almost fell over in shock because I was so used to working in a horrible school where my supervisor, co-teachers and colleagues did nothing but ignore me and backstab me...I really wanted that job, because it gave me hope that this was a pleasant school to teach at...but of course I didn't get it..
FashionGirl is offline   Reply With Quote