Help

The Job Search

Conundrum

>

MnToCa

Conundrum
Old 05-24-2018, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a feeling that a Principal will be offering me a job as a teacher, but next week I have an interview for another job in the same district as this job.

If I were to accept one job then offered the next job, would I be able to accept the 2nd job since it happens to be in the same district? The first job is a 4th grade position and the second job is Special Education which I would prefer.

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 05-24-2018, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you accept that job in that district, I think they will not be happy if you try to interview and accept a totally different job in the same district, since it's all in the same district and they will know if you go in to interview for another job there. If you really, truly want the Sped position, then I'd be upfront with them if you are offered the 4th grade job. See if they can hold off your answer until after the other interview.
teenytiny is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-24-2018, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you are offered the 4th grade position, ask for time to think about it. If your other interview is early next week, you might be able to buy enough time. Then at the sped interview, if you feel it went well tell them at the end that their job is your #1 choice, but you have another offer that you need to respond to by xyz time, and if you haven't heard anything you plan to accept the other job. If they really want you for the sped job they will make sure to make an offer prior to whatever date/time you tell them.

I don't think you will be able to accept the first job and then try to take another job within the district later. I'd be worried that may make you lose out on both jobs. If the 4th grade job is something you feel like you can do but just isn't your first choice and the timeline doesn't work out to wait and interview for the sped job, I'd probably take the 4th grade position. You can always try for an in-district transfer for sped the following year. At least in my district, there are always sped openings.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

Ok
Old 05-24-2018, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice.

I now have another Sped interview for tomorrow. If this goes well, would I be able to accept the 4th position but then back out for this new job that is a different district.

I know I plan on being upfront and telling them I need a bit of time to decide.

Haley23

Old 05-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I still wouldn't recommend doing that. If the interview is today and you still haven't been offered the 4th grade position, it seems like a non-issue. I would still recommend that if offered the 4th grade position, you ask for time to think about it and then contact the school you're interviewing with today to tell them they're your top choice but you have another offer that you need to respond to by xyz time/date.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

Well I didn't get the 4th grade position
Old 05-25-2018, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Lol. Guess I counted my chickens before they hatched.

They were even calling my references too.

The principal emailed ne saying the person they decided to go with hasnt accepted the position and told me to reapply if it comes back up. Why would I need to reapply. They obviously didn't want me.

Also I am concerned that my former principal who wasnt a reference but they did call gave me a bad recommendation...