The Job Search

Would you take this job?

>

jobseekerchan

jobseekerchan

Would you take this job?
Old 05-27-2018, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Job Post: University is seeking experienced and qualified teachers and education administrators to join our team of part-time clinical coordinators who supervise elementary, secondary and K-12 education student candidates during their formal internship at schools in ___ County.

This is part of a posting for a part-time position at the nearby University. It sounds like the position during student teaching where the student teacher coordinator evaluator from the University came to formally evaluate us once in the classroom. For me ,it was a man who I only met with once. It would seem to me a lot of driving around to different schools and a very wonky schedule since it is K-12 in our county. Would you take this position or do you see what I see as it being a part time headache of a job? The only redeeming quality I see is that it is a University job although very part time. I need some helpful thoughts. Thank you.

GraceKrispy

Old 05-28-2018, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think your understanding of the position is right on. Whether I'd take it would really depend on my goals and what else I have going on. I was asked to take an adjunct professor position as an intern supervisor for graduate students and it did not appeal to me. It involved a weekly class to teach and one-two visits to their internship sites over the year. With traffic and the amount of time people would text or call me for advice, it wasn't worth the money and time.

If you are very interested in working at the university level, it might be a bit of an "in" and that might make it worth it. If you have a very flexible job aside from this and the money would be helpful and your schedule easy to flex, then maybe it would be worth it.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-28-2018, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would only take it if you don't really need the money and are looking for a less than full time job-maybe something good for a mostly stay at home parent? At my university, these positions were mostly held by retired professors who wanted just a little something to keep them busy on the side. I would it expect to pay very little. My supervisor observed me/met with me once per week, but she only had 3 student teachers that she worked with. We were all placed in the same school and she came to see us every Wednesday.

It's not something I'd be interested in at all, as I need a full time job, but if you're in a situation where you're looking for part time work you might as well apply and see what it's like. You can ask all of your questions in the interview.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-30-2018, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My momís friend did that when she retired and loved it. But she was retired and didnít need the money. If youíre retired and just looking for something to do to keep busy and keep your finger on the pulse of education and help new teachers then itís great. Otherwise, itís probably not what youíre looking for.

Also, I think you need to have a lot of teaching experience to be successful.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

You're could be right.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a friend who took a job like that, and she had to drive all over several counties to different schools. The college didn't pay her gas or wear-and-tear on her car. They just paid a flat rate for each class. She did it one semester and then quit. She then took a position with a university where she had a much more manageable job.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote