The Job Search

From your experience

>

Seeking_4u

Seeking_4u

From your experience
Old 06-04-2018, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím looking for a teaching job and remaining hopeful throughout the process. I have a question though. Just out of curiosity, how likely are districts to hire all summer through August. Some schools I seeked out all say theyíre good. They moved teachers around and are not looking to hire. It seems most schools are doing this. However, Iím still remaining positive and if I have to sub for some time thatís fine too. But Iíd still like to know. From your experience, how many times do plans change and hiring continues in August too?

eeza

summer job search
Old 06-04-2018, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The districts around where I am go from mid-August to mid-June. Hiring typically is done from April to late June. The admin then have most of July off and come back in August. At that point they'll start hiring again because they'll likely have resignations over the summer. Hope that helps!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-04-2018, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We usually hire in May and June. We only hire later if someone is a late resignation, which isn't very common. We start at the beginning of August, so it is very rare to have a August hire here.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-04-2018, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iíve gotten almost all of my jobs the week before school starts. I got one job the day school started. Itís very common around here. Check the postings often. They change regularly.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tester10

Donít give up!
Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I got hired a week before school started in a highly desirable district in a large urban area. In general they hire the bulk between April and early July but there are always positions opening later.

FYI-The principal told me I had a leg ahead of other candidates because I emailed her how I could help her instead of just listing my qualifications.

tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Seeking_4u

Seeking_4u

Northern California ( Central Valley)
Old 06-05-2018, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you to all of you. What you all have said is keeping me hopeful. Anyone from Northern Cali, particularly Central Valley, Abdha know about the hiring process? This is where Iím from.
Noelbastable

Noelbastable

Old 06-08-2018, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In my area, districts typically donít post until the summer is fully underway, so you can find jobs June - August. Of course, you have to have a foot in the door to get even a first interview since 600+ people apply to every elementary position, but all one can do is apply over and over and pretend the application is going to be considered.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-10-2018, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I know a bit about working in part of the central valley. What people consider the central valley spans a huge portion of the state so I am not sure if what I know helps. I dont work out there any more but I used to.The commute was awful from where I live. Its a big area and since I dont live out there I was only ever willing to look in part of its that was closest to me.

There has been a big push, especially as the teacher shortage in the area continues, to try to hire early and lock people in before another district snatches all the quality hires up. Manteca tries to jump on hiring very early but they still hire in drips and drabs all summer. Watch out for some of the charter schools out here as some of them are horrible. Modesto also hires through June and sometimes into July. Tracy seems to post mainly in April and May. Stockton hires all summer but a huge word of warning about working in any schools there. You would be working in what is tantamount to a war zone. There is a reason that they aggressive look for interns-they use them are cannon fodder and most dont last more than a year-some dont make the whole year.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote
TulsaGal

TulsaGal

Move to Tulsa, Oklahoma
Old 06-10-2018, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Tulsa Public Schools is in need of teachers. In fact, many schools are needing educators in Oklahoma.
The pay is not the greatest, however, the cost of living is quite low. In fact, several businesses have created incentives for educators.

Haley23

Old 06-10-2018, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my area, it is very common for districts to have a rule that if you resign with less than 30 days notice of school starting, you forfeit your last paycheck. We get paid monthly, so that's a huge deal. Therefore, you won't see many resignations past the first week of July, and if you do you want to make sure you've really done your homework on the school. My last school was AWFUL and many people took the paycheck penalty because it was worth it to get out. We had a lot of postings in August.

My home state has a statewide rule that says you have to notify by July 10th, so it would be more rare to see postings after that. Individual districts can choose to let people break their contracts, so it's possible, but not as likely.

Maybe you can ask around and see if there is anything similar where you are? Obviously, keep checking the postings and keep applying. If it were me I'd keep checking even when school starts. At my current school we had a huge rush of enrollment we weren't expecting and opened up a 3rd section of one class 2 months into the school year one year.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Tons of job changes during summer
Old 06-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I live in California and our district contract says that we need to put in a letter of resignation by June 30 ó and we are a large district, so we get many openings over the summer. Our only penalty is that they wonít release you from your job until a replacement is hired ó but in actuality, thereís little they can do about those who choose to retire or move far away. My district is also very conservative in hiring ó they never want to hire too many people, so when more kids show up (and they always do) they are hiring after school starts.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote