Help

Fourth Grade

I need a peptalk please!

>

Katluv

I need a peptalk please!
Old 07-30-2018, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my 27th year in 4th grade...yes, a long time (all in the same district)! I'm not bragging by any means but I have positively influenced a lot of kids in my teaching career and feel like I am a competent, good teacher. I bet 90% of my students really enjoyed being in my class over the years.

We are a district that lets parents request teachers. That used to be ok when state testing wasn't such a big deal but times have changed and of course we all want high scores. 2 other teachers in my grade are young and fresh so they get a lot of requests. The other veteran teacher and I get some but nothing like we used to when we were younger.

My principal gives me behavior problems because she knows I can handle them but they aren't usually the high academic ones. Over the last few years my test scores have been mediocre at best (5 SPED last year while colleagues had 0, 2 or 2). I don't make the class lists obviously and can't help who is in my class.

I am already feeling beat down once again and never feel good enough. We all teach the exact same reading and math curriculum. I know I am a very good, if not excellent teacher and just need some PT love to reassure me I am ok.

One more thing, I am the go to person in my grade for being organized and on top of things and keeping everyone up to speed. That counts for something right?

I guess I should stop feeling sorry for myself but last year was ROUGH and I'm hoping for my sanity that this year is better.

Thanks for listening guys!

Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 07-30-2018, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand how you are feeling. It's hard not to feel defeated by scores on the big test, but let me suggest this....look at the growth you saw in those students from beginning of the year to the end on your in house assessments. In my opinion those growth measures are much more important than the one day, roll of the dice spring test. I have to remind myself of this as well. You are not alone.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 07-30-2018, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been in 4th grade in the same school for 24 years. Hey, soul sister! I am also the mom of 4 boys who all turned out pretty well, so I always get the discipline problems because they always figure I can handle them. (Sometimes they figure wrong...not wrong exactly, but maybe the fit was just wrong.) It was my happiest day when they finally did away with parent requests!! I was never the most favored going in, but I always have parents who come back and thank me for preparing their child so well for 5th grade and middle school. You are doing a great job even if no one remembers to tell you that you are! Those ROUGH years are soul draining, but the good thing is that they don't last forever. I hope and pray that this is a great year for you!! 4th grade is the BEST!!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lovewords

Feel better!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wish I could sit down with you in person, but please keep in mind that you are there for the kids, not the parents. I'm sure you do everything you can to help them succeed, no matter what their problems are. It's not easy in that situation, where parents get to choose! I feel for you!
Lovewords is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Pep talk
Old 08-01-2018, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love your title : pep talk. It is so honest and relatable! And we seasoned teachers need this every now and then
Your experience in Fourth and that you're the organized go-to person is absolutely important.. The fact that your P. trusts you with the tough kids is also a compliment, even though it comes with it's set of problems. I hear you about State tests and the burden it places on us. Our classes are not always equitable either. Some have the higher IEP kids, some classes have behavior.
Have you had a chance to express your concerns with the P. ? We have tried a few times, some years are better than others and last year I had all fourth graders for reading and it was very challenging!! I'm hoping for a better year too!
Good luck to you. Enjoy the rest of your Summer

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote