Help

The Job Search

Teacher to para

>

pinacolada

Teacher to para
Old 07-31-2018, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím a teacher with 10 years of teaching experience. I resigned after my son was diagnosed with autism and with the way things are going; I wonít be back to teaching anytime soon. I applied and was interviewed for a para position but didnít get it and instead they encouraged me to apply for teaching position when ready. How do I make myself more marketable as a para?

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Perspective of a former para waiting for teacher job
Old 07-31-2018, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can push that as a certified teacher, you can be the para that can run small groups. If you have special education experience push how that will help you in a para role. Also push being a team player, used to collaborating with others for the best possible services for the students. This would be good for your assigned student, because it will take the focus off the student having a para in the students eyes.

You really need to convince the interview committee that you really aren't interested in a teaching job right now. Many people may feel as though a certified teacher cannot be happy in a para role.

It would likely mean no benefits and no guarantee of o job from year to year, but a Title I Tutor position might be a better fit for you. Then you can use your skills without being a classroom teacher. You would have more responsibility than a para, but not as much as a classroom teacher. You could potentially make more money per day ($20/hour compared to $12 per hour here). This job is usually not posted in our school system, but the principal can hire a person for this position if funding is available.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote