Help

Career Decisions

Accepting an offer and then declining?

>

KZ1987

Accepting an offer and then declining?
Old 08-09-2018, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I was offered a maternity leave position for the upcoming school year, which I have accepted, as it's only a few weeks out and I wanted the security of knowing I had a job in place.

With that being said, I've decided to keep an interview for the upcoming week that would be for a permanent position - this is by far not a guaranteed position, but I was actively recruited for it and think I have a good chance at being offered the position.

Just some background about me - I've basically been in temporary positions for the last four years - in 5 different schools. It's becoming exhausting having to move every half year or year to a new school, new district, new student population, etc. The job market in my area being what it is, I've done what I have to do, but I would really love to just settle down into my career and finally be somewhere I can stay.

I would feel incredibly guilty backing out of the job offer I've already received, but I also think they would understand as they were sympathetic in my interview when I talked about how I wanted to find somewhere to call "home" for good. Am I be a completely awful person to decline this offer after I've already accepted? I haven't signed anything or completed any paperwork yet.

KZ1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 08-09-2018, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You have to take the permanent job and any reasonable person would understand. Fingers crossed that it works out for you!!!
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 08-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you haven't signed any paperwork, you're free to take another job. Good luck, and I would take the permanent position if there's no way the maternity could turn into a permanent job. Teachers don't always come back after maternity leaves!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

Been there
Old 08-09-2018, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had to do this not once but twice in my career. In my case I left a half-year sub job for a contract at a private school (which ended up being a nightmare) and then again left a half-year sub job for a full-year sub job. Even then the administrators completely understood. In fact, one admin ended up becoming a superintendent at another district and then hired me for a permanent position there last year!
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-04-2018, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If the admin is a normal, feeling, human being with empathy then they will understand.

If not, well then at least you get to dodge the bad admin bullet.

You have to try for a permanent position and do whats best for you.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote