Help

New Teachers

Student Teaching, edTPA, workload

>

Singfree

Student Teaching, edTPA, workload
Old 08-10-2018, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll be student teaching this fall and spring semesters! It really is rather overwhelming. They now require the edTPA (Teacher Performance Assessment) to be completed during student teaching. Also, I have many outside course assignments not directly related to student teaching, so I've been concerned about having adequate time to do the best job possible for my students and for the purpose of landing a job. Was your student teaching filled with a lot of extra work on top of lesson planning and taking over for 16 weeks? Did you do the edTPA? How did you manage it all? Thanks in advance!

Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

GatsbysDream

Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi!

I student taught in 2011, so it was awhile ago and pre-edTPA.

Are you in NJ? If so, the gauntlet we run is insane, but well worth-it.

I handled the workload one day at a time. I met with my cooperating teacher around this time and helped set-up the classroom in addition to taking home textbooks I would need to complete lesson plans.

I would usually work on my lesson plans first and then I would spend the weekend (Saturday) on the larger assignments for University, such as the IOSL and reflections for observed lessons.

It's all about budgeting your time wisely. Avoid procrastinating and putting things off; do them in small increments if you need to. Feel free to message me with any questions.
GatsbysDream is offline   Reply With Quote