High School

At-risk student

>

Lynx_2018

Lynx_2018

At-risk student
Old 08-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So this is my first year teaching and I have one student who is severely behind on what he needs to know for my class, which is a class required for graduation.

Hes somehow in the 12th grade, but two years ago, according to his record, he was in the 7th grade, then shot up to the 11th grade. Hes 16 years old and he turns 17 later this school year (which would mean he should be in 11th grade).

Hes listed as RTI tier 3 and he informed me (almost unintentionally) that he had been in jail, which may have stunted his progress.

My question: does it sound like an administrative error that hes in the 12th grade or possibly like someone on the school board is trying to just toss this kid aside?

Ive seen enough of his file to know that hes never really had much stability even when he was in elementary school. I want to help him, but I cant let my concern for him and his deficiencies cause me to hamper the rest of the class hes in.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is there a guidance counselor you can ask? Barring that Id touch base with admin.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Coffee-mate

Coffee-mate

Go to the Principal
Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ask the P, "What is the plan that you have created for this student this year, to help him move forward towards a successful graduation?"

The P is responsible for the plan, you would be executing it. They are WELL aware of the issues associated with the student.

Then, discuss with other departments in the school how they plan to help the student modify work to get him to graduation in one piece.

Yes, they want him out. Yes, he is in the right grade to get out as soon as possible.

He will get out and possibly work and be productive that is the best scenario.
Or, he will be trouble all year, will end up back in jail for his extra-curricular activities and he will not be your problem after that point.

You are a caring person to be worried, take your concerns higher up.