Career Decisions

Have BA in Journalism, interested in becoming teacher

>

changeisgood

changeisgood

Have BA in Journalism, interested in becoming teacher
Old 09-20-2018, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím 39 years old and considering going back to school to become an elem ed teacher, tell me if Iím nuts? Iíve been out of the workplace for over 5 years as Iíve been raising my 3 young boys. Prior to that, I had held jobs in the corporate world and never found my place. Iíve always wanted to be a teacher, not sure why I chose journalism in college, then again who knows anything about what they truly wanted to do at age 18? Apparently not me!!🤪Iím just nervous about starting over and going back to school, especially with having a family to look after. How many credits would it take for elementary ed? Iíve only just begun to look into everything, I suppose I would need to meet with an academic advisor at the colleges Iím considering to get this info but just havenít made it to that point yet!! Thanks in advance!

eeza

becoming a teacher
Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it's great that you are looking into a career that you have always wanted! With that, the realities of teaching may not be what you expect.

I would suggest you observe in classrooms. Primary grades. Upper grades. Even middle school (where I am our credential is K-8). Also look at lower and higher income areas. These all will feel very different and it would be nice for you to see what they're like because you never know what your first job will be.

I would also suggest shadowing a teacher for the other parts of the job so you see the behind-the-scenes stuff. Ask about the good things about the job but also ask about the hard stuff (and not sugar coated!).

Best of luck!
eeza is online now   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 09-23-2018, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had always wanted to be a teacher too. My mom, a teacher, talked me out of it the first time. I went back at age 39 and it took about 2 years for elem and sped.

This is my 7th year. I would describe it as interesting, overwhelming, and rewarding.

Which state are you in? Look for programs that offer a post BA degree. The TEACH grant, if still available, will cover some of the cost if you teach X years. I am waiting for the final approval stages of the Teacher Loan Forgiveness. Some states have programs to attract teachers. My district has a para to teacher program.

Good luck with your decision. No advice except to understand and be very realistic about what you are getting into before you invest time and money.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 09-23-2018, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So funny, Iím 38 & looking to leave teaching, but feeling stuck. I do enjoy it but itís the stuff we didnít sign up for that tends to get to me: very poor behavior or curriculum given, lack of admin support or superficial/political/bullying/cliques going on in workplace, over monitoring by admin & being pushed at certain things, stressful Evals, also being at super overly time consuming schools & underpaid and needing a more balanced work/family life is my complaint. But Iím also a single mom in an expensive area. They also non-renew regularly lots of untenured teachers around here..... I was a top, great teacher in my districts too...I truly enjoyed it until having all the stress of not ideal things.

In my state you do your teacher credential as an extra year or 2 after your BA. You should research your state & nearby programs etc. Good luck!

I do enjoy it but itís exhausting/energy draining & if I work all day then come home to my kid as a single mom itís like no break from Kids ALL day! I see myself doing it short term in an ideal/decent school but not the rest of my career. (Unemployed just subbing at the moment...I did work 11 years) There are some people who love their schools tho and never had big issues etc. so itís the luck of the draw.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Changeisgood

Changeisgood

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for being so honest everyone, this is exactly the stuff I need to hear, the good the bad and the ugly!! I think I definitely need to shadow a teacher to get a closer look at all of the ďbehind the scenesĒ work involved. I live in NH, not sure what type of certification programs are offered but will continue to research! I appreciate all of your replies, thank you so much!!!!