Help

The VENT

"No corrective statements."

>

NewCAteacher

"No corrective statements."
Old 01-29-2019, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was recently told by a behaviorist that we really should not be making corrective statements to our students. For example, you may not say “sit down please.” If you have to say that, obviously your expectations are not clear enough, she says. And a whole laundry list of other things we cannot say or do because it is unkind to children. Like making him apologize to a teacher after he spat in her face.

I am so over the “kids can do no wrong” attitude.

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Ugh...
Old 01-29-2019, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am so over these "experts" and coaches. And we wonder why children are so disrespectful these days? If they aren't accountable for their behavior and adults are not allowed to correct them and teach proper behavior, is it any wonder why they act the way they do? And as clear as I'm sure your expectations are, obviously according to this behaviorist, the child's ignoring them is an acceptable choice.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Lalaalallala

Lalaalallala

Old 01-29-2019, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

She needs to get a class of 35 defiant students 7 times a day, 5 times a week and apply her theory and ideas. Then, teach for at least five years. Then and only then, she is allowed to open her trap and show all us how is done and all of her secrets. *rolling eyes*

hiker1

Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is what the general public really needs to hear. We are always being criticized about how we are not doing anything. I bet that if a paper published all the things that we can't do such as give a zero, give a D ( yes, we were told that), not being allowed to correct behavior, not being allowed give the student a failing grade ( that he/she earned) we would have a lot more support. Could you imagine a paper printing this list.
Things a teacher is not allowed to do:
Give a grade lower than a C
GIve an F for plagiarizing
Correct misbehavior ( sit down)
Give a 0 for any work that has not been turned in.
Fail a student for not doing any work.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

This is the logical
Old 01-29-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Conclusion to trends in expert-endorsed behavioral management. The only thing that's different is that they're actually saying this. Of course it's not good for kids, and of course these experts don't know anything (regardless of whatever graduate degrees they've bought) because they don't work with real kids in the real world. It's easy for them to say things like this.

Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Just from your title...
Old 01-29-2019, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I knew you were talking about California!
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

No corrective statements
Old 01-29-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What a load of horse manure. There’s a difference between saying “stop that” and “ turn the hose off.” In the second sentence you’re telling them what to do. Makes sense.

BUT, this is not always necessary, especially beyond kindergarten.

So, instead of “sit down, please” can you say “where are you supposed to be right now?” Or should you invite them to sit: “would you care for a chair?”

I truly fear for the future. Children are growing up with no consequences, no grit, no problem solving skills, no initiative.

And those children that are learning those skills are going to have to support or work with those who aren’t.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

More teacher no nos:
Old 01-29-2019, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Don't take away recess
Don't send kids to office.
Don't write referrals.
Don't rescind privileges.
Don't make negative phone calls to parents.
Don't complain.

I guess correcting teachers is allowed, though?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-29-2019, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That’s one of those bs things they I’d ask her to come in and model it for me. But first I’d rile up my super special snowflake really good.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Aabba

They are lucky if...
Old 01-29-2019, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

They are lucky if a police officer tells them to "sit down please" when they get in trouble in the future. I can think of a dozen other creative ways cops say or do to make you sit down. And not sure if the behaviorist would approve.

Aabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

This!!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

All these gosh-darn, self-appointed, annoying, offensive, know-it-all "experts" back WAY down the instant you ask them to come show you the "right" way to do it. Feed your kids donuts, first. And maybe some strong black coffee

daffodils

that sucks
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've always learned that stating the "DO" instead of the "Don't" is ideal--aka "Walk please" instead of "stop running" But not even being able to say "Walk please" is ridiculous!

I guess this means principals can't make rules either? "Turn in lesson plans by end of the day" Nope! That's corrective! "Stand near the buses during morning bus duty" Nope!
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 01-30-2019, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
That’s one of those bs things they I’d ask her to come in and model it for me.
Absolutely!!

So many of today's children are being raised as "the ones in charge" and it's not healthy!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 01-30-2019, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It's a wonder that any children have survived our classrooms without the input from such "experts"! What a bunch of hooey!
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This is such a disservice to students and doesn't teach them how to be decent adults one day. And doesn't teach them how to fail. I had a student the other day say "Teacher, (she hasn't learned my name after over a semester) come here now." Know it wasn't urgent cause I could see what she wanted help with I said, "Please?" She turned to her friends "OH I KNOW SHE DID NOT JUST ASK ME TO SAY PLEASE." We are not dogs, we do not come at a command, we are teachers of subjects, manners, and life. I cannot abide the "students can do no wrong" mentality.
ellenroo is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Stupid way to raise children
Old 01-31-2019, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Ha! This must be what my principal considers heightened language that I use. I went back to school late after raising 3 children. So I am now 48, only teaching 3 years now. I tell kids sit down, stop that, it is 4th grade. They know what they have done wrong. Why do I have to spell it out for them? My three children grew up fine. I used the same language with them. They are great and know how to behave. Their teachers never complained. In fact they injoyed them because they are well rounded. They have a great vocabulary, appreciate all kinds of music and can hold an intelligent conversation.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

The real test
Old 01-31-2019, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Is do these people who advocate this actually raise their own children this way? If not, why? I thought this stuff was backed by "objective science."
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I had to use a corrective statement today.

“No!!! Do not shove that pencil in your ear!”

My bad.

c6g

Wait a minute!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

According to another expert, Harry Wong, saying "sit down please" is a good thing! I'm not sure if Wong is still followed, but he and his wife, Rosemary, made a very nice living for a while with their books and workshops. I had a principal several years ago who bought everyone a copy of The First Days of School. Adding the word "please" isn't a bad thing, and it's a major part of the Wong's recipe for teacher success!
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Don't melt the snowflakes
Old 02-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Reminds me of the "expert" who came in and told us that the "teacher stare" is actually a form of bullying / intimidation. She also discouraged the practice of "hovering" around / above / beside inattentive students. She claimed that proximity as a compliance tool is counterproductive as a method of negative reinforcement and serves only to crush students' innate desire to learn. "Some kids need more time and space to get into a learning task. If they never get into it, maybe you need to rethink your approach to teaching and learning tasks, because to a young person, an interesting, age-appropriate task will ultimately be irresistible." Yeah sure.

It's the same school of thought that says that if students aren't rushing back to class after lunch eager to find out what amazing lesson you have planned for them, it means you're doing it wrong.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Wow! I thought lack of discipline here
Old 02-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

was bad. I'd get canned cus I say, "Sit down!" ( without the please) at least 20 times a day.
Our school systems are adopting all kinds of behavioral approaches that lack any common sense. The kids are growing up like this in places.
Making a kid apologize for spitting in a teacher's face is unkind??????? Wow!
What are we teaching kids?
This is really scary that these kids may become adults w/out ever having dealt w/ any of the consequences of their actions.
A kid who spits in the wrong person's face is going to be in for a rude awakening.
How does anyone expect these kids to survive in the real world ?
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

Teaching is the only profession
Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

In which being an expert is easy. I say this because the people who are labeled as such don't actually teach, and some of the ones I've had the "pleasure" of receiving lectures from have NEVER taught.

If we were to avoid doing anything that may not be 100% optimal for every single little quirk of every individual kid's personality or so-called learning style, as opposed to what's best for most of the kids we have, we'd never do a single thing in class for the entire academic year.

DustSettles

Expecations
Old 02-03-2019, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

How are the students supposed to honor the expectations if you can't enforce those expectations. To enforce them is to teach them.

I think I will leave the classroom and get a consultant's job. Then instead of the class struggles I could float aimlessly around the building making empty comments and collecting a fat paycheck.
DustSettles is offline   Reply With Quote