Kishkumen

Kishkumen Classroom Challenge
Old 02-01-2019, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here's the challenge:
•You may only use whole-class consequences
•call-back signals are no longer allowed
•Instruction cannot continue if there are students talking
•Consequences for individual students are allowed, but flip a coin first. If you get tails, consequences are applied to a random student in the classroom
•After six months, explain to admin why your class is out of control

This is what I deal with every day:
-Sensory overload prevents me from determining who is talking, so I can only use whole-class consequences. Those are limited, because I'm a specials teacher, and cannot hold students back from recess.
-Call-back signals are simply ignored by the class, and are increasingly ineffective.
-Admin and other teachers suggest that I do not start teaching until the class is quiet.
-If I do determine the source of disruption, half the time I'm wrong and apply consequences to an innocent student.
-Admin tells me to "develop a better relationship" with my students

Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-01-2019, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You have posted about this before and got some good feedback. Have you implemented any of it? What worked and didn't work?

I don't teach art but I would probably start by giving my classes basic directions in the hall. They wouldn't come in until they had them. I would set limits on certain behaviors and enforce them. Chairs around the outside of the room for nonparticants to sit in. Class reward for following rules (sticker chart). They would leave with a grade for the day.

I was talking to a long time friend yesterday who was special ed and was great at it. She burned out and moved to art. She has been doing art in some pretty tough elementary schools for 5 years or so and recently decided to retire this year. The kids just wear you down. No consequences...behaviors getting worse...disrespect high.... It isn't easy.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Sorry this is still happening
Old 02-01-2019, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I remember this topic coming up before as well, but maybe not all the details. - Have you gone to a doctor about the difficulty with hearing individual sounds? Maybe there is something they can do.

Instructions in the hallway sounds like a good trick. The novelty alone might buy you one or two lessons if you're lucky.

Can you rearrange the classroom so all the desks are facing the wall - kind of reverse circle?

Quote:
-Call-back signals are simply ignored by the class, and are increasingly ineffective.
Can you change it to a visual signal? Something like - when you put up a certain number of fingers, they stop talking and put up the same number. Then you can see who is complying and who is not, and give individual rewards and consequences.

Quote:
-Admin and other teachers suggest that I do not start teaching until the class is quiet.
Is admin willing to stand in your room for two minutes at the beginning of the block? I bet they'd be quiet for instructions then. (Or, alternately, admin will see what you are really dealing with.)
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote
HaveASeat

HaveASeat

Old 02-01-2019, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. Write a daily participation grade on the board for each of the classes.
2. Begin with a grade of 100
3. Take points away when students are not on task
4. Take plenty of points away to matter
5. Add points to it only when everyone is on task
6. Make sure everyone knows the rules before you begin this procedure. This way they will be looking out.
7. Follow through and post the grade online
8. Make sure that you have extra assignments for extra credit to cover students who are aiming for an A.

Just because you are an Art teacher doesn't mean you have to allow free movement in the classroom. If this is not working for you, make sure you tweak your program and find a way to restrict the movement until they earn it back and they are responsible enough to have a privilege to wander around. Yes, this is a privilege in the classroom.

If you are not sure of the source of disruption don't ever give a consequence. It makes you look like the bad guy in their eyes. But, if you do determine the source of the disruption without doubt, put your foot down and have no remorse and let him/her have their rightful consequence.

Quote:
Admin tells me to "develop a better relationship" with my students
This is not your fault.

Keltikmom

Challenge
Old 02-01-2019, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i am confused, and I don’t recall the previous posts, my apologies.
Are these strategies you are forced to use or have you made them up yourself?

•You may only use whole-class consequences
Not a fan. Peer pressure is not a good long term management strategy.

•call-back signals are no longer allowed
Why?

•Instruction cannot continue if there are students talking
Makes sense.

•Consequences for individual students are allowed, but flip a coin first. If you get tails, consequences are applied to a random student in the classroom
What? Please tell me this one is a joke. If I were the random student I would be royally ticked off.

Yep...this makes sense to me, too.

If you are in need of a classroom management overhaul, may I suggest Reaching with Love and Logic and really striving to stick with it.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-01-2019, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Why is ignoring an option? Teach it and reteach it until they do it the way you want. They should not get the option to ignore you.

Quote:
This is correct. Don't teach over disruptions. No art today because you are teaching procedures? So be it.

Quote:
-Sensory overload prevents me from determining who is talking, so I can only use whole-class consequences. Those are limited, because I'm a specials teacher, and cannot hold students back from recess. -If I do determine the source of disruption, half the time I'm wrong and apply consequences to an innocent student.
I have a hearing issue, so I have to be extra diligent in watching students. It did take some practice to figure out how to do that well. Sometimes I still miss things, but overall my classroom management is very good so I don't have to manage multiple interruptions at the same time.

Quote:
Six months is way too long to let things stay out of control. What have you tried to make things better? What had admin offered in the way of assistance? What have others suggested?
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

meowww58

Old 02-01-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would use visual cues and praise positive behavior I could observe - "I appreciate the way Johnny is putting his name on his paper" etc.

You could get one of those sound sensors that actually measures the decibels in the room and changes color like a stoplight. ?

Whole class punishments are not a good idea. Relationships ARE better. Take time to get to know your students, even if it's just small things. Maybe have a class discussion about which behaviors make for a productive/fun class and which behaviors take away from the learning/fun.

Good luck!
meowww58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Old 02-01-2019, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I sense that you are feeling very overwhelmed, and I am so very sympathetic. Ours is an unreasonably difficult profession. We are expected to ‘control’ and ‘manage’ students who have no interest in complying with authority. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be when sensory overload is added to the equation! Best of luck to you!

Kishkumen

Old 02-02-2019, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm forced to teach this way, because my brain cannot filter out background noise. Apparently, most people can determine where noise is coming from. Everyone told me I just needed experience, but it's been twelve years. This magic power is not going to develop.

Visually, I can't do it either. When several students are being disruptive, my brain can't identify them. I just see "some people" running around the classroom. When I try to figure out who someone is and remember a name and apply a consequence, My brain immediately locks onto another disruptive student and forgets the first one. I start to react to that student, and my brain switches attention to another student. It's the "school of fish" phenomenon that confuses sharks.

If it's just one or two students, things are fine. But if several students are off-task, it's impossible to determine who is causing the problem, so the disruption only gets worse.

I can give a good guess based on several minutes of concentration, but a lot of the time I'm wrong and apply consequences to an innocent student. Because my brain cannot find individual students, whole-class consequences are my only option.

I've tried ADD medication before, but was unable to deal with the side effects; It made me hyper in the morning while waiting for class to start, and then before the end of the day I'd be drowsy and lethargic. The after-school preparations would have to be done while fighting to stay awake, and then my evenings would just be spend sleeping.

I've gotten some good advice on this board, but classroom behavior is only getting worse. Every new technique requires a teacher to identify individual troublemakers. Expectations are simply ignored, because there is no way to enforce them. Once students realize that, I lose all authority.

Refusing to teach until everyone is quiet gives students the power to stop the class. Their reward is more talking time, and all they have to do is keep talking. It usually takes a class two or three minutes to respond to a call-back signal, and days where there is no art are getting more frequent.

Admin has had to enter my classroom and maintain control more frequently.

Thursday was very frustrating. I've had worse days, but this was the first time I didn't want to return to school. I taught on Friday and wished I hadn't.

I have submitted my resignation, but there's still the other half of the year to survive.
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-02-2019, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you plan to leave teaching completely, you could break your contract and leave now. I know a couple of people who have done that.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-05-2019, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Refusing to teach until everyone is quiet gives students the power to stop the class. Their reward is more talking time, and all they have to do is keep talking.
I agree with you on this. And I don't feel it's fair to the students who want to learn to miss instruction because a few troublemakers steal it from them.

Quote:
I've tried ADD medication before, but was unable to deal with the side effects.
I'm no expert, but there are different types of ADD medication, and if you do decide to try it again, you may do much better with one than another.

Quote:
I have submitted my resignation, but there's still the other half of the year to survive.
I honestly think you've made the best decision, and really hope you find a new job that suits your sensory profile better!
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote