Help

The VENT

Coping Until I Leave (Long Post)

>

esmith13

Coping Until I Leave (Long Post)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a full-time teacher, part-time real estate investor and licensed realtor. I've been teaching now for about a decade and even though teaching would get on my nerves from time to time, I used to always believe that it was something I would be doing for at least 20+ more years and real estate would just be a nice little side hustle to earn more money. Over the last couple of years however, I've started to become more and more fed up with teaching and I'm ready to leave the profession.

Before I officially entered the classroom, I believed that kids would be the biggest issue, but one thing I have learned over the last few years is that the adults involved in this profession have gotten on my nerves more than the children. From the parents who defend their kids no matter what, the conniving co-workers who throw others under the bus, the administrators who are either incompetent or are over-the-top, and the state legislators who pass laws about education that have an adverse impact on educators, it's all getting to be too much to deal with on a regular basis.

I used to be excited about having the students create meaningful projects and that were content-area related, but my particular district has become so fixated on test scores that there's not really much time for creativity and meaningful lessons. Some days I feel like I'm just herding sheep or cats all day long. I don't enter the classroom just doing the bare minimum to get through the day because after all, the kids still need me to give them an education and I always said I wouldn't become the teacher who does the bare minimum, but I'm finding it harder for me to put on a happy face and fake it.

Now that I own a few properties and I'm looking to buy some more, I spend a great deal of time daydreaming about doing real estate and running away from teaching, and I'm becoming more and more resentful of returning to the classroom each day. What can I do to cope with my growing resentment until I'm able to leave the profession for good in the next 2-3 years?

esmith13 is offline   Reply With Quote

azteach88

I hear ya'
Old 02-04-2019, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Other than the real estate aspect, I feel like I could have written this same exact post. I wish I could offer some advice. Just know that you aren't alone and until the problems with education are fixed (won't happen in my lifetime at this rate), I feel the profession will continue to lose teachers.
azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, since you're not going to do the bare minimum as you said, all you can do is the best you can until you're out of there. Take it one week at a time, fully enjoy your holiday breaks, stay under the radar of the principal, take care of yourself physically and mentally, and just silently count down the days till it's over!

I personally wouldn't care about attending any more optional work parties such as after-work parties, holiday luncheons, etc. because who cares at this point?
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I understand...
Old 02-05-2019, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Like the others before me, I could have written a post similar to yours. I retired this past June, but the last few years, and especially my final one, were challenging. I so agree with you about all the changes, particularly on the part of the administration and the changes at the state and district level requiring more an more from us and stifling our professional judgement and creativity.

How wonderful that you have another career path as a realtor an owner of properties to professionally fulfill you when you leave teaching. What I would do for now is try to prioritize your personal time and allow more time for things you truly enjoy when you are out of the classroom. If it means staying at school less or working at home less, so be it. When you come to your last year, knowing you have reached the finish line, there may be more time for those projects you used to do, knowing doing them won't count against you. It will also be nice to focus on knowing that it will be the last few times you will have to do things you don't necessarily believe in.

Through all the data collection and emphasis on the test scores, administrations continue to suck the joy out of teaching. It's a shame, and the students are truly the losers.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

FMT

Well said
Old 02-06-2019, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with everything said. I am retiring at the end of the year. It has been challenging the last 5 years. There is not enough time to do all the things that are required. There is such pressure to perform. What I like about these posts are the same thoughts and feelings are exactly how I feel.

At the school I am at people are under tremendous pressure but no one talks about it. Everyone is afraid of the administration. And rightfully so since your life can be made difficult if you don't march to the beat.

Now that the end is in sight, I can understand all the conflicts I have had in my mind.

I am concerned for the people that need to continue this rat race.

One thing has helped me get to this point. Each day I break down the time into 3 sections. I am thankful as the day winds down to the end.

Breathe, breathe, breathe....

FMT is offline   Reply With Quote