Help

The VENT

Shoe collection

>

MissAgnes

Shoe collection
Old 02-05-2019, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have several students in my (4th grade) class that want to tie their shoes when I am giving instructions, especially in Language Arts. Every day. Several times. Like 10 times in an hour.
So today, I gave a warning. Boy did it again, took his shoe off his foot and put it in the corner. Another one did it a few minutes later, took that one. Ended up with 5 shoes. And not a single one was doing it on purpose.
They're supposed to have their shoes on at all times, but I'm so tired of having to repeat instructions because they are distracted by their shoes!
To be fair, they have a 15-20 minute reading block at the beginning of LA. I give out bathroom breaks at this time, and I've told them SEVERAL times to use this time to take care of their shoes.
So had quiet the shoe collection until the end of class.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-05-2019, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Personally thatís not a fight Iíd fight. And now youíre turning it into a thing. I bet youíre going to see a huge increase in shoe tying because the kids are going to think itís cool to have their shoes taken.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Having taught for a long time..
Old 02-05-2019, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think I managed to ignore the shoe tying because it wasn't the dreaded velcro closings on shoes that made a noise one could never NOT hear.
It was so bad with the little kids that my coworker was in a big box shoe store and her DH was several aisles away picking out running shoes for their next marathon and she could not stop herself from yelling across the store to him..NO VELCRO SHOES!!!

That memory still makes me laugh.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 02-05-2019, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's not a battle I'd be fighting. As Greyhoundgirl says, it's becoming A Thing.

My class doesn't wear shoes indoors, but that's because our playground is infested with catheads (really nasty weed with savage prickles that cause itching that can last for days). The kids bring catheads into the room on their shoes then sit on the floor and get stabbed in the bottom, leg or hand. So shoes come off at the door and we work in our socks (me, too. I'm in the playground as well).

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1280&bih=529 to see the nasties.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-05-2019, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Your profile says 4th grade. Is that correct?

Is shoe tying a new thing like the water bottle flip and finger/wrist snapping were a few years ago? Is it a special type of shoe tying?

I hate to say it but the kids are doing what theyíre doing and not listening to directions because you have taught them that youíll repeat directions so there is no need to listen the first time. A reteach of your expectations about staying seated, paying attention, and what to do if they do not understand directions would be helpful as I am sure you want to keep your sanity.

Good luck!

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 02-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hope you're not repeating directions for any kid who was doing something else instead of listening. I'd give directions once, then tell them they'll have to figure it out if they weren't paying attention. And if it's a large group of kids who are distracted, then it may be time to practice listening during recess while everyone else is playing.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

This drives me crazy!
Old 02-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This drives me crazy. I normally tell them they don't need their shoe tied when sitting in one place. When they get up to move to transition to being with a partner, fine, but sitting still, not needed. It's worked with my kids. But I literally tell them stop, your shoe doesn't need to be tied at this very minute from day 1. Now, I just have to say Stop or tap their desk and they just stop.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Um...
Old 02-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You've got to pick your battles. This isn't one. Just because they're tying their shoes doesn't mean they're not listening. I have kids whose shoelaces come untied 10 seconds after I have tied them MYSELF in a triple knot, because these new-fangled laces are made with super slippery material that just won't stay tied.

Do NOT make children take off articles of clothing because they are annoying you. You open yourself up to liability for theft if shoes go missing on your watch, and also if a student is injured because he is not wearing shoes and you need to exit the room for a fire drill or a desk tips over and lands on a bare foot.

You are wasting SO much teaching time over something that ultimately doesn't matter all that much. You've turned their misbehavior into a super fun game to play with teacher. The only way to win is not to play.

MAsped

Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It's really something what kind of thing kids get fascinated with. I'v never heard of this shoe-tying craze.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

It worked.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I haven't had an issue with shoe-tying since this. So I guess it was pretty effective.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote