Help

The VENT

ear-splitting volume

>

Kishkumen

ear-splitting volume
Old 02-05-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Several 6th graders decided to shout at each other across the room today, and then a few more joined in. All callback signals were ignored and the noise continued for the entire 40-minute class. This was top-of-the-lungs shouting. At one point the noise was non-stop for several minutes and the sheer volume was so high that I could not think clearly. I was able to identify five students doing most of the shouting but not all of them. My ears hurt for three hours afterward, and there is still a ringing sound five hours later.

Should I be worried about hearing damage or am I just being a wimp?

Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

GuestCO

GuestCO

Not okay
Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope you have everyone put their heads down next time. I don’t care if they are in middle school or not. You can tell them tomorrow at the beginning of class that will be the consequence.

Singvogel

When they don't hear me-
Old 02-05-2019, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done a quick toot on a whistle before.

If you identified five of them, could you have sent them out of the room one at a time?

If your ears are ringing, I would be concerned about hearing damage.
Singvogel is online now   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Not a wimp.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If your ears are still bothering you, get them checked and ask the doc about possible hearing damage. Don't take chances with your hearing.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 02-06-2019, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree that you should see if a doctor if your ears are bothering you.

I was in a similar situation last year. The entire school was in the gym for a competition. Most of the school started screaming so loud that I could not think straight and my ears were ringing. My hearing was fine afterwards.

Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Be Sure...
Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

to report your ringing ears to your secretary or administrator.

If you should need a doctor's appt., this would be a workmen's comp visit. To use workmen's comp, the issue must be reported quickly. Be sure to mention it to the proper people today.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I hate to be the one to say it
Old 02-06-2019, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

but if there was top of the lungs shouting in your classroom for 40 minutes, and you were unable to identify all of the students, perhaps your sensory handicap makes it impossible for you to successfully teach at this time, or at least at the age levels you teach. Did no one notice? Did you request help?
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 02-06-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I recommend going immediately to see your school nurse, explaining to him/her what happened, and then ask the nurse for a form to fill out since you were or may have been injured on the job. The documentation would be to your benefit.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Kishkumen

Old 02-06-2019, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I will talk to the school nurse. I'm fine this morning, but having that paperwork will be handy if there turns out to be a problem.

There is one adjacent classroom, but they apparently were not bothered by the noise.

Admin was already called for an incident earlier this week, and made it plain that "I can't do it for you" when the class is out of control. This contradicts with the "call me if there is an issue" advice given earlier. I'm on my own.

I'm not sure a whistle would work. I'd need something like a starter pistol.

Violets2

Old 02-06-2019, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I really hope your comment about a starter pistol is a joke. You are in a very tough situation and I sincerely hope nothing escalates into a physically dangerous situation for you or your students. Since you've gotten the unwritten impression that you're on your own, you may want to seriously consider resigning before something serious happens that may truly get you in trouble.

I mean no offense just please, please watch out for your self legally.

Violets2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Those kids are playing the classic game of “how far can I push the teacher before he/she snaps”.

Middle school kids can be mean, too. They have figured out you can’t pinpoint the ring leader, and they are going for broke. They will also know when they have no consequences with admin either. Bad situation.

What about the good kids? Get them on your side. Mine will rat out the troublemakers in a heartbeat. Usually they are tired of their stupid antics, too. Get them in your corner before they go home and tell their parents you can’t control their class. That comes back on you.

You say you can’t tell who is making the noise. However, I know that in any class I’ve ever had, I had a short list of usual suspects. Those are the ones I watch extra closely. Front and center, right in my space. Always watching, and they will know it.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kishkumen

Old 02-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What I'm doing now is having a daily drawing assignment posted on the LCD projector with four requirements, like:
•draw two objects
•add a background
•fill the page
•do the best you can

The students who want to work can start and get a good grade, rather than waiting for the shouting to stop so instruction starts. It's working so far. But then, every strategy always works good the first two days. If it's still working in a week, I might be on to something. There has to be ONE strategy that's actually effective.

The thing is, I don't snap. It's extremely rare that I've had to shout at students. I've tried that, and it doesn't work either.

Yes, there's a list of problem students, usually fewer than a dozen in a class But as I circulate the classroom, most of them are following directions. Which three or four of those students are making all the noise? It takes a lot of detective work to find out who it is.

I've already submitted my resignation. The only reason I keep showing up is a fine for breaking the contract.

geoteacher8

Question
Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I need to understand. Do you actually have students shouting across your room? That should be a ‘once and done’ type situation. If it continues, they are truly yanking your chain. In addition to examining your discipline structure, I would look at your lesson plans and remove any unstructured times.
geoteacher8 is online now   Reply With Quote

Kishkumen

Old 02-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Yes,, there are students shouting across the room. I'm unable to determine who they are or where the shouting is coming from. Consequences are limited to whole-class.