Is it possible to just leave a hour before buses...everyday? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Is it possible to just leave a hour before buses...everyday?

>

tealsky

Is it possible to just leave a hour before buses...everyday?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Insert sarcasm. I totally know that isn't possible or a thing, but I am so over BUS LOADING TIME!!! My students are normally fairly well behaved until bus time rolls around. I totally know the chaos of 4 loads and being required to teach until the bell before packing up is part of the chaos, but there has to be a system of management that has not been bestowed upon me for bus loading procedures that don't cause the kids to lose what bit of civility they have within them.

Any suggestions???? Probably relevant to most age levels, but I'm primary. Thoughts? Wisdom? Please help

tealsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-06-2019, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You pack up after the bell?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

tealsky

Old 02-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are told, no earlier than 5 minutes before bus loading.

tealsky

Expectations
Old 02-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They have told us no more than 5 minutes before the bell. I have one load at a time to get backpacks ready. I think part of the problem is that due to lack of time and the fact that the 1st load called is nearly half of my class is part of the problem. I have 12 students on that load. :O So 12 trying to get packed up, coats on, and shoes ties (as needed) is a bit too much.
Emily26

Emily26

Start sooner
Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Really. It's the only way you're going to be able to cope with this madness. Push independent reading or some Jack Hartmann videos to the end of the day so the other kids are doing something educational while you are calling by table/group/whathaveyou to get packed up. Whoever decided you could accomplish an entire packing up in 5 minutes has never worked with small children. If they insist it's doable in 5 minutes, invite them to come and show you how to do it.

southernfried

Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach middle school, so I have no first-hand knowledge, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But I remember reading a similar thread where teachers talked about packing up way before the bell (like 30 min-hour) and then moving some part of their day that didn't require the kids' stuff (read aloud, whole-group lesson of some sort, etc.) to that last slot. Then they could teach right up to the bell, but the kids were already packed up and ready to go.

Not sure if something like that would work in your case, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it helps!
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 02-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This makes sense!
Quote:
I teach middle school, so I have no first-hand knowledge, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But I remember reading a similar thread where teachers talked about packing up way before the bell (like 30 min-hour) and then moving some part of their day that didn't require the kids' stuff (read aloud, whole-group lesson of some sort, etc.) to that last slot. Then they could teach right up to the bell, but the kids were already packed up and ready to go
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do what southern suggests. We pack up at any random time, usually before the third recess.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Yes, pack up early
Old 02-06-2019, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I used to have the students pack up, then sit back down. That was a good read-aloud time, and it kept them calm and quiet so when announcements came on and dismissal began, they were attentive and ready to go.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I pack up 15 minutes before and do read aloud (unless I lose track of time ). That way they’re sitting nicely and quiet and I dismiss in a nice, orderly fashion. I actually love the end of the day (unless I lose track of time ).

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

lpt

Old 02-06-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I, too, pack up early. It takes my kids FOREVER to get their s...stuff loaded.

Also, I hate to end the day being rushed and fussing at everyone to hurry. If I hate it, the kids hate it.
lpt is online now   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Home time
Old 02-06-2019, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

May not be helpful in your context, but I have my kinders ready to leave 10 minutes before home time. We read a story and then I dismiss them one at a time and they choose a hug, a handshake or a high 5 to say goodbye. It is a special time of day in our class.

Last edited by ElizabethJoy; 02-06-2019 at 09:33 PM..
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 02-07-2019, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We also pack up early and then have storytime. After recess (90 min before dismissal) I have the kids put their coats on the backs of their chairs instead of on the hallway coat hooks. When the bell rings, they are ready to go!
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am not against rewards such as a skittle or smartie. As they leave, give them a skittle to "keep your mouth busy."

I sit to the side in the same spot everyday to help with zippers or backpacks. Kids must come to me and must wait in line.

You are right though, snowpants, coats, hats, mittens, it is not a quiet or calm time.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

At 1 school, each teacher took 1 busload.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

In that school it worked.
Now I am in a school that expects the kids to get ready in 3 minutes. I really tried, but absolutely hated that rush. It made us all leave stressed.
I get the kids ready after a final bathroom break now. They have coats and backpacks on the back of their seats for about 20 minutes before dismissal.
At 1st, I had to deal w/some snarky comments if the P happened to walk in at that time or before dismissal. I just dealt with it because leaving the day on a stressed note is not good for kids or me.
My kids are 4th grade so I have an important assignment that takes about 20 minutes to do for them during that time. It is a wrap up activity. I try to check them asap if it is a writing 1 so that they know if they slack during that time it is noticed and completed during "their time." The day ends much nicer now. The P seems to be more realistic now or he has just given up w/ the snarky comments.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote