The VENT

Lay offs/rifs.

>

iloveglitter2

Lay offs/rifs.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
I was wondering how common being laid off is for other teachers in other areas? I am a third year teacher and so far I have been laid off from enrollment decline each year. I finally got a school I loved and a grade I loved. I am so heartbroken! Wondering if I should look another areas!

iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-06-2019, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I started teaching in 1993. At that time, it was very, very common for all non-tenured teachers to be let go at the end of the year. Most were rehired once numbers were settled and funding approved. I was let go by to schools in the same school every year for four years. Once I was rehired two weeks after school started, twice over the summer, and once at the same meeting where I was given my dismissal letter.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-06-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The schools I've worked in have had enough turnover that nobody ever got laid off. Even if there are fewer positions available for the next year, enough people leave on their own to account for those.

My state is not great for teachers to begin with and I've only worked in low SES schools. I'm sure it's different in the more affluent areas. That's the thing about jobs- if you're in an area where they are easy to get, that most likely means conditions aren't great. Conditions for teachers are great in my home state, but it's almost impossible to get a job.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-06-2019, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was RIF’d the first 2 years in my current district and rehired both times before school started. That was a decade ago. Now, we don’t have enough teachers to fill the hard-to-full positions (not elementary).
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Lay offs are very uncommon in the district where I work. Our area is growing really fast and they are basically opening a new school every 2 years here. There are about 20 new classroom positions being created for next year that have been posted for internal employees who want to transfer in-district, and those are only the ones they already know about before we've even filled out our intent paperwork for next year.
We do have contract language re: layoffs, so I imagine they do happen occasionally, but I've been teaching in our district for almost 10 years and have not heard of it happening at the elementary level.
I'm sorry this keeps happening to you and that you are looking at possibly making another move. I hope you get to keep your dream assignment!

WGReading is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Queen of RIF
Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I worked in the same district, same job for 27 years. It was .75 and partly grant-funded. I was RIFfed annually. I sometimes got my contact mid-summer, sometimes I got a phone call a week or even a day before school started. Once or twice I started after the official start date and didn't have to go to all those meetings.

I hope you end up being called back. I would suggest sending out applications and asking for letters of reference ASAP. Let your district know you really want to stay right where you are, but ...

Then if/when you get a job offer, contact your district before signing.

Good luck.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Layoffs
Old 02-07-2019, 02:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Newer teachers in my school system are put on the involuntary transfer list if enrollment declines at their schools. They are guaranteed a position at another school, however. My district is enormous (183 schools), so getting another position is not a problem.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm in Southern California and out here it seems that you get non-renewed if you did something wrong as a teacher, not really due to low enrollment or other reasons beyond the teacher's control. However, I haven't been in the regular public school teaching setting since 2013, so I don't know these days.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

None at all
Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have never known a teacher to get laid off. Enrollment has been increasing ever since I started 26 years ago. We can't get enough teachers to fill all positions and general ed grades K-6 is even listed as a critical need area.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Enrollment has decreased greatly here
Old 02-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

over the yrs. ( More old people than young).... Along w/ a nearby teacher college...that still pumps out loads of teachers who usually never even get jobs teaching.
I had to leave the state after college to get my yrs of experience in to get hired here later. There are definitely places that need teachers. I went to a place that asked me what grade I wanted to teach. I thought it was a trick question...lol, but they gave me that grade level. I stayed for many years.
If you are willing to move, try to do your best to stay put for as many yrs as you can. Then with that experience and good references, you can move where you want to live and get a job most likely.
You might even really like the place you move. I did! I only came back because of family. It is also better to be in a job where you are needed and appreciated than in a job that you know they could dump you and have 100 young teachers lined up to take your job!

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote