The VENT

Sleeping students

>

luvbeagles

Sleeping students
Old 02-06-2019, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We all have the "one" in our class...

I teach 10th grade students. One particular student is in my first period class. This child has a very long list of issues in my class (and other classes as well). His behavior is similar to elementary students (blurting out without raising his hand, lying about missing assignments (apparently I NEVER give him papers), cheating, talking while I am instructing, etc.) He is currently on a behavior plan, which he violates almost daily but our admin is weak and will not follow through on punishments. He has begged to be transferred to another teacher but they will not honor his requests. He lives with his grandmother, who thinks he is an angel. She is a bully who tries to blame all of his problems on the teachers. (We pick on him, we target him, we are asking too much of him, etc.) I have met with the student and grandma with EACH of our administrators on separate occasions. Sometimes we get nothing accomplished. If we reach a compromise on issues, the student knows he doesn't have to keep his end of the deal because there are no consequences.

Administrators always tell us to not allow students to sleep in class. Late last week, the student was falling asleep during class. I woke him up three times and told him that he must keep his head up and stay awake. The third time I woke him up, I told him that if he fell asleep again, I would have to write him up and send him to the office. He fell asleep sitting up! I stood beside of him for two minutes to be certain that he was truly asleep and not just dozing. I woke him up, sent him to the office and wrote him up. Today I was asked by our newest administrator to have a meeting with grandma because I sent the student out of my class. I am so tired of meeting with this lady. I am tired of being bullied by her. I am tired of hearing how I am the student's problem. I am tired of hearing how I pick on him. I am just tired of it. But, being the professional that I am, I will meet with her, put on a smile, and explain why sleeping is not permitted.

My points for sending him out:
- It is against school policy and my classroom policy to sleep in class.
- I am expected to TEACH him my subject. If I allow him to sleep in my class, I am setting him up for failure and allowing him to fail.
- He will use the material learned in my class in his future classes. If I allow him to sleep through class, I am setting him up for future failure.
- If I allow him to sleep, that opens the door for other students to sleep in class as well. This creates a domino effect and then we can just call my class NAPTIME.
- I cannot stop teaching the other 24 students in the room to try to keep him awake and focused.

Currently, I am frustrated and aggravated about the entire situation. If I feel like I am being attacked by grandma at any time, I will excuse myself from the meeting. I am considering not meeting with her any additional times this year. Enough is enough.

My question for you: Can you think of anything else that I could tell grandma about sleeping in class, poor behavior in class, etc that help support my point of view? I feel like I am just not thinking straight about the situation and missing something. Thanks in advance!

luvbeagles is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-06-2019, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe : I care about why he is falling asleep. Does he have responsibilities late at night? How can I help you make sure he gets enough sleep? I can't teach him unless he is awake and involved.

I would excuse myself from the meeting if there were personal attacks.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 02-06-2019, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If he's falling asleep that often and that easily, then there is a bigger concern. He's obviously not getting enough sleep at night. I'd approach it from the concerned teacher angle. Yes, you had to write him up because it was school policy, but more importantly, why is this kid constantly falling asleep? When does he go to bed at night? Is he actually sleeping or does he have devices in his room and he's staying up later than grandma realizes? Is he having trouble falling asleep at night? (Maybe he needs a doctor visit.)

I think if you act concerned, maybe you will get farther. I've seen a lot of bad behavior that was caused by lack of sleep. It's a real problem, especially since kids are allowed access to devices all day and night.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Any possibility of health issues? Part-time job working late?

Could you have this student stand? Harder to sleep that way.

Can you approach the conference as, I'm concerned that student's sleeping in class is starting to affect his grades because he is missing instruction/doesn't have complete notes/doesn't complete class work?

How can you and I work together so he can be more successful?
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 02-07-2019, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Little Johnny appears well rested when he enters my classroom. However he falls asleep within minutes. It's dificult to sleep in a classroom with all the activity going on but LIttle Johnny does it frequently. Have you noticed him falling asleep at strange times at home?" You could try that. In all honesty I think I would just let him sleep. If he is sleeping you can teach. Give thim the bare minimum grade. Keep records of when he sleeps, ect. So if your admin complains you can state all the times you tried to get him help before but were never backed up. Sometimes you have to ignore one to save all the others. Sad but true.

hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Emphasize 2 points
Old 02-07-2019, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'd emphasize 2 points. First, I'd emphasize that it's not like he immediately fell asleep and you sent him out. You worked with him, gave him suggestions and ideas (keeping his head up), you used other strategies (proximity) and it continued.

Is this is first time falling asleep? Was it just this one day? Or is it many days? I get there are reasons that might cause this, but call me insensitive and flame me if you wish, but those to me don't matter, especially when he is in 10th grade, and especially if it happens frequently. If he were to fall asleep on the job in the work world, they aren't going to care, oh, you had other responsibilities. Additionally, I find the vast majority of the "reasons" kids fall asleep as BS, especially when it's used as an excuse to make it okay or acceptable. My bet he is no problems staying while playing video games. He has no problem staying awake when he is having fun with his friends, even in school. He has no problem staying awake at lunch or other meals. He has no problem staying awake on his passing period. I'd emphasize his future. He needs to figure out how to stay awake and make sure he gets a good night's sleep. If not, it could cost him a job one day. Truth be told, the only reason I can see for falling asleep in school repeatedly and it being okay is a severe medical condition, like narcolepsy.

We have a student in our school. He is in 8th grade. He falls in asleep in class all the time. Multiple times a day. This has been going on since 6th grade. He talks to his friends and tells them he is up till 2, 3 in the morning playing video games. His mom says he falls asleep because his medicine causes him to do so. Yet, he only falls asleep in class. As soon as the bell rings, he JUMPS from his seat, is super energetic and interacting with friends. During passing periods, he's causing trouble in the hall, breaking things, running, rough housing, etc. Then goes to class, sleeps, bell rings and class ends, and begins again. He bolts to the lunch room everyday, gets in food fights, causes trouble in there, etc. then goes back to class and sleeps, bell rings and he's energetic again until the next class starts, sleeps, etc. When the final bell rings, he stays after school for an hour or more, running around, throwing things, rough housing, etc. Yet, administration believe the mom that it's his medicine causing him to fall asleep so often and tell teachers not to say anything. It's ridiculous. It's clearly choice. I even called him on it one day in the hall way, and after reprimanding him for his behavior said something like "You're acting like this now, but I bet my life, as soon as you enter that classroom you will fall asleep." He just laughs and sure as hell, he sleeps. It's BS. I do get that when you are first getting started on medicine, it may do some crazy things, and I can accept the sleeping as you are first getting it figured it out, but 3 years? Time to see a doctor and get an adjustment or new medicine! Then add other behavior on top of it? BS. Because of 3 years of constant sleeping, and no school consequences for failing a course at the middle school level, this kid is 3 years behind. Literally. He's slept through class and missed so much! At this rate, even if they get the sleeping thing figured out, he's 3 YEARS BEHIND!!!!!!!!!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ssalazar7

Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with this! I have taught both middle school and high school and RARELY do I lecture all class period. Usually, kids have several activities to complete so falling asleep due to severe tiredness is unlikely, as the kids are constantly active and can't just doze off.

As with what to say during the meeting, I think you have all of your bases covered, and I am shocked that you're even having a meeting for following through with a procedure...then again, for anyone who has been keeping up with my posts, my new school is very much like this, and often, I don't even know how to respond because it is so new to me to have admin that would make these excuses.
ssalazar7 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I think
Old 02-07-2019, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would send a student to the school nurse if I found that he/she kept falling asleep.
The nurse may find out the cause because of the confidentiality of her/his office. Maybe something is going on at home. There are also medical reasons why a student may fall asleep. My DD did it a few times in high school during a language arts class. Thank goodness her teacher sent her to the nurse. The teacher should have, but did not have the info. that my DD was a diabetic and falling asleep in a symptom of very low blood sugar. That teacher saved her from more serious symptoms.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

4 kids in almost 30 yrs
Old 02-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have had the same problem with, but I get so annoyed when I am told to wake up a sleeping kid. ( I teach younger kids.)
2 stayed up all night playing video games all of the time and the other 2 lived in very noisy/ stressful environments.
Both of them told me what kept them awake. I would not have been able to sleep in either situation either. ( Crying babies, parents arguing, TV blaring in a small house..etc.)
I think the P needs to step up, call the G, and put the blame where it squarely belongs. The G should have to come get him if he is too tired to be in class. The adult needs to make sure their child gets enough sleep. If that means taking the kid's phone and video games away and sleeping w/ the games locked up, so be it.
If it means turning the tv off or down, that is the parent's fault....not yours. Plus, crying babies need to be taken care of by parents not a kid. I know this approach is not taken by most P's because of attendance and enrollment. It is maddening. I am so sorry you have to deal w/ the sleeping issue and nasty G both.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote