5th graders acting like high schoolers--not in a good way - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

5th graders acting like high schoolers--not in a good way

>

EatPrayLove

5th graders acting like high schoolers--not in a good way
Old 02-06-2019, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a big 5th grade class. I have 3 or 4 super rude kids who try to run the show in the classroom, by the rude things they say. (Example: gum chewing is not allowed in my room. When I caught 2 kids chewing gum, they said in a smug way: Well, if my parents say I can chew gum, then can I?) This insolence is VERY new to me, and I've been teaching for awhile.

Another example: I was getting the kids to get ready for their Wellness Break (like a recess that's a school-wide thing). One boy says in a smug way so everyone can hear: 'Well, I'm starting recess now.' He says something like this most every day.

I want to build relationship with my kids but CANNOT stand this attempt to belittle me. My admin does not help; I'm on my own. I will have a conference with the parents this week, but this child is quite the ring leader, and many kids think it's funny. He's hard for me to like, and I HATE that since it's so important to me to have a good relationship with all my students.

Some more background: I took FMLA leave for 3 months at the beginning of the year. The long-term sub had more of a party situation than a learning situation. I've been back since the end of October, and am wondering if he is resentful of my level of rigor.

Unfortunately, several kids are rude. He is a ring leader, but other kids jump in too.

I feel defeated at the moment...

EatPrayLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

A thought
Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yesterday we were reading a biography. We were discussing character traits and the discussion of a leader vs a follower came up. I gave them examples and then had them come up with some examples. I was shocked when some of them brought up the fact they are followers! We had a great conversation and it seemed like some attitudes changed. I noticed attitudes changed as the day went by. I even heard one follower say, ďIím being a follower and thatís not smart right now.ĒMaybe you can change some of your followers into leaders and take some of the power away from the rude ones.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-07-2019, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They arenít acting like high schoolers. They are acting like middle schoolers. God love them. They donít have good sense. Call them out on their bad behavior.

They likely are protesting being reigned in by a new teacher. I have noticed that anytime a teacher isnít there from the first of the year, it is harder to establish their authority.

Getting the power from the ring leader is possible. Keep at it.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 02-07-2019, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

[QUOTEThey arenít acting like high schoolers. They are acting like middle schoolers][/QUOTE]

Exactly my thought! The rudeness and disrespect seems to get worse with each new year. The previous posters have some good suggestions. I wish I had a solution, but itís a constant battle. Good luck!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Juiceboxes

Old 02-07-2019, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You say he is the ringleader, but is it likely his parents will have the most influence? I would start with tackling the kids who are part of it and whose parents will have the strongest influence. If it won't be his parents then you get enough on your side and on top of their kids about behavior that they won't be joining in the ringleader antics.

Juiceboxes is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, kids are definitely little narcissistic smart asses and they wouldn't be if their parents weren't either. We all know where they get it from, so I don't know how much help you'll get from them either. A kind, genuine, moral, sincere, humble, modest, respectable parent would instill those values in their kids. That's why I never cared to teach in the first place, but kind of fell into it and am no longer in it anymore.

Not once ever in my entire life from pre-school to college did I ever dream of disobeying or talking back to any teacher. That thought never even entered my mind. I never gave ANY teacher nor my parents one bit of trouble at all. These kids today and in the last couple of decades or so are really something!

People in society in general though are more smug (I use that word a lot too), entitled, narcissistic, imposing, attention-starving, and unkind these days anyway. It's the change of the times and I can't stand it.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

EatPrayLove

Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

@ Love Slabs
This is a GREAT idea!
EatPrayLove is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

story time
Old 02-09-2019, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

find a book where the class villain acts like the ringleader, and weave it into character ed. I start most classes with an expectation that I'm not teaching for the excellent pay and working conditions, but that I feel that they are worth my time and effort because I believe that they are extraordinarily valuable, and you don't trash things that are valuable. (if you had a $250k Ford GT would you trash it? or take care of it?, usually they agree that they would care for it, and they I explain how they as unique individuals are more valuable than all cars ever built.) I will not tolerate them disrespecting others, and especially themselves. usually the class will self-police, 'hey? you are disrespecting yourself" knock it off. if that does not happen and they still smart off I come down pretty hard as if they had disrespected another classmate. while I will not purposely embarrass a student, I usually wont stand in the way of a cocky one doing it to themselves. I know its late in the year, and they are ready to move on, but its probably still salvageable. hang in there.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I wish I had the answer
Old 02-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All I can do is relate how hard it is when you have had to be out on FML or for any other reason at the start of a yr. The kids have established w/ the sub the behaviors allowed and they can be way different than the teacher's expectations.
It is really hard to reign them back in when they see it as they were there 1st. I wish you the best of luck!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

leader/follower theme
Old 02-09-2019, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer is a great Newbery prize winning book. It's a quick read. Start reading it on Monday and you'll probably finish by Friday. It has more than one theme, but one is making poor decisions to follow a brash, mouthy "leader". It will generate lots of discussions.

Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote