Help

The VENT

I'm out of here!

>

annon4this

I'm out of here!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year has been shall we say, CHALLENGING. I was teaching second grade, and then in the early part of January, I was reassigned to 4th grade, which is a major league testing grade in my state. Reading, writing, and math all have a state assessment.

First of all, I was in second grade because our writing and reading scores last year were horrendous. The principal and superintendent decided that for the "betterment of the the campus" I should be reassigned to a non-testing grade. And then I get moved back? WTH? I was livid about the move, to say the least. Anyhow.... fast forward to yesterday when my classes took their first reading benchmark and lo and behold, they did better than I expected.

I was told that the move was because the writing teacher was complaining she had two testing subjects, while everyone else had one. We're departmentalized.
I've decided that this is it. My year of liberation. As of May 31, I will be a regular on the retired teachers board. Life is too short for this crap!

annon4this is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Done
Old 02-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sometimes it just takes a "final straw" to let you know it is time to retire. For me, it was the parent from H377. Wishing you strength and joy as you finish up your year.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

So happy for you!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am sorry that what turned out to be your final year was not more fun for you, but I am happy that you are able to retire. I find it unfair that you were held accountable for one set of poor scores and moved two grade levels down, and then in the middle of the year, they move you. How could that be good for the students or for you? And why is the writing teacher given so much power? Not sure what her second tested subject was, but if it was reading, they both fall within the ELA spectrum, so how is it that much different?

I retired happily in June. I wasn't moved from my grade level or anything like that, but I had enough with my principal playing favorites and the district and state dictating so much of what we did. And the students were not getting easier to deal with, either. You will love the freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want. I wish you a long, happy and healthy retirement and seeing you on the Retirement Board soon.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Yay for Retirement!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We look forward to welcoming you to the retired teachers board. My last year was awful, and I was more than ready to retire. You are going to love it.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Retirement
Old 02-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Count me into that group as well.

Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Congrats! So how many yrs have you been teaching in total? It's a good thing for you the timing is right and this happened when you're at that retirement age (I assume). Others who are still in their 30s - at least early 50s probably still have to stick it out if this situation were happening to them.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-07-2019, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There’s nothing quite like the realization that in a few short months, you’ll be able to say, “Take this job and shove it, I ain’t workin’ here no more!”

A pp was right, it just takes that last straw, and then you know it’s time. There will be lots of ups and downs as you adjust to retirement, so be patient with yourself. Once you find your footing, man, is it ever sweet.

Also, it’s not too early to check out the retired teachers board. That helped me maintain my sanity as I counted down my last semester.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

Counting down
Old 02-07-2019, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm right there with you! I've been at my current school for 18 years (teaching for 33) but I am waving goodbye come May 24! I didn't have a "final straw" moment, but I just know it's time. I'm done. And since I've made this decision I haven't had a single regret. That's confirmation for me.

Can't wait to join the retirement board!!
g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Yay!!!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Pleas join us on the retired teachers board now. It was super helpful my final year of teaching.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

Let Me Be
Old 02-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The first to say, “WELCOME TO THE LAND OF SEVEN DAY WEEKENDS”!!!

GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I am so sorry your last yr
Old 02-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

started off so rough. Congrats though on retirement!
Now that you know you are done, things should be easier for you.
Enjoy the time you have left by not worrying about constant changes, deadlines, or test scores. It won't matter next yr.
Start cleaning now though...haha A little bit a day. Then you won't be slammed at the end. I throw out stuff a bit at a time. Usually 3 out of 5 nights I toss stuff I know I will not need next yr.
It is a freeing feeling for sure.
Also, any stuff you want to keep that is in your room it is smart to take a few things home a week.
I know a teacher who taught 30 yrs and left the clean up for the end. IDK why! But she was there for a large part of the summer sorting and had to enlist the help of many people. It was really hard to help her because she hated to toss things.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote