The VENT

Why...

>

Gottago

Gottago

Why...
Old 02-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is my Super so against Teachers Pay Teachers? We are forced to do LearnZillion Guidebooks this year and the format of the worksheets is just plain boring (not to mention riddled with random typos). Pair that with snooze-worthy texts and 90 minute classes and the whole program has sucked. I found a resource on TPT that has every worksheet in the guidebooks plus additional resources for several of the texts and the format is much more student centered. Printed them out and was using them. So in walked the grand group of 12 or so instructional partners who have been gracing our schools for the past year. No problem - we were on task. They walked around, looked at what the kids are doing, stayed about 10 mns and left. The only feedback I got was wanting to know why I was using TPT worksheets instead of what comes with LearnZillion. Seriously? The only difference was the font, decorative border around the page, and lines for the kids to write on. The rest was word-for-word.

Then at a later in-service, the super presented an example of a task he considered not challenging and joked about it coming from TPT. I'm sorry but there's some good stuff out there. With the guidebook units, everything I need to supplement their 50 mns lessons into our 90 is there and I have to do nothing. Excuse me for trying to liven things up for the kids without having to spend hours away from my own to plan it.

NJ Teacher

Shortsighted administrators...
Old 02-08-2019, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are covering the standards/objectives and the kids are engaged, why should he have a problem with it? Plus, you are paying for these materials out of your own pocket. You should be applauded and praised for taking the time to find and plan resources that fit your needs based on what you are expected to teach and those of your students.

There seems to be a push in many districts, my own former one included (retired now) for teachers to be doing exactly the same thing using the same materials. I do see a certain value in that, but the teacher who thinks outside the box, is a bit more creative, and wants to extend the experience to engage her students using other materials is penalized. We had a workshop one summer that I attended from a national consultant who was providing in-service to our district. She made a point of knocking TPT because she said they were created by another teacher who didn't know our specific students and their needs. While that might also be true to a point, re-inventing the wheel, especially given everything expected of us in education today, is a mistake and shortsighted.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote
RandomMusing

RandomMusing

Drones
Old 02-08-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Seem to be what they want in my district too. They expect all of us to be teaching the same lesson using the same strategies on the same days. I've been teaching my subject for 6 years. One of my coworkers just moved from a different subject. The other taught elementary before coming to Middle last year. There's also age difference between us, not to mention personality and student differences. We each have a strength and a weakness when it comes to teaching....but they aren't the same and I don't see how (or why) we could ever do the exact same thing. I'm the creative one who loves to pull materials from many different areas, loves dressing up as characters to introduce a unit, loves doing scavenger hunts/QR code searches and reader's theater. None of that is part of guidebook curriculum and I'm floundering big time this year because I don't get how to teach a scripted program. Instead, I look like a first year because everything I say and do is awkward for me. Anyone seen any videos of someone actually teaching a guidebook lesson? Thinking of begging for help from some Louisiana teachers.

checkerjane

Old 02-08-2019, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We donít have any curriculum, so 90% of my resources are TPT because Iíd rather pay for it instead of spending hours searching.
checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-08-2019, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

And they wonder why there is a teacher shortage!

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

It is frustrating when morons tell
Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

teachers how to teach. Makes you wonder if they go to their surgeons and tell them how to do surgery!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 02-09-2019, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
The only feedback I got was wanting to know why I was using TPT worksheets instead of what comes with LearnZillion. Seriously? The only difference was the font, decorative border around the page, and lines for the kids to write on. The rest was word-for-word.
This makes it sound like the TPT sheets were plagiarized from LearnZillion. If that's true, there's a copyright issue that could expose the system to a lawsuit. So that could be one reason.

My guess is that admin has seen too much stuff from TPT with errors and too much distracting cutesy stuff, and that's not what they want in their classrooms. I can't speak to the product you were using, but a lot of stuff on TPT is hit-or-miss.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote