Help

The VENT

They never hear no.

>

MissAgnes

They never hear no.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm convinced that some of my students never hear the word "No" at home. They'll ask me a question, and I'll say no, and they respond "What???" in a shocked voice, like they've never heard the word before.
Not only that, I'll tell them no, and they'll ask me again 2 minutes later, and are again shocked that my answer is still the same.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Listening is optional...
Old 02-11-2019, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm convinced that for many students today, listening is optional. They may be told "no", but that doesn't mean they ever hear it. If they don't hear it, they don't respond to it. And it's hard to say no if the parent is trying to be the student's friend.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

never hearing "no"
Old 02-11-2019, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's like when kids see me speaking to someone else and just start talking to me expecting me to stop that conversation and give them my undivided attention. Nope. Sorry, but you are not at home where you are the only child. In my classroom, you need to wait your turn.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

jmcdteach

never hearing no
Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

During my last year of teaching, a grandparent told me she and her son had never used the word no and they did not believe in giving directions to children. I silently hoped she would invite the whole class to the child's birthday party! I also made the decision to retire shortly after that.
jmcdteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

No
Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Itís a combination of never hearing it and waiting for the third or fourth time for a parent to say something before they decide to respond. I think we have trained our kids to wait for the third time we say something before they stop talking and listen.

I used to tell my students ďIím about to give directions. I will not give them once. If you donít pay attention,I will not help you.Ē

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I teach Kinder...
Old 02-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

And they come to school literally having never heard the word no. Most students adjust quickly to my boundaries and accept my no, but some kids have a REALLY hard time adjusting. I get lots of phone calls at the beginning of the year (as do all of my colleagues) about how "mean" I am and how much I yell (I don't ever raise my voice). But for kids who have never heard an adult say no, that comes as quite a shock when they hear it for the first time. And kids are taught to push past no by parents who never have a firm no. If you just whine enough or complain enough or look sad enough or kick mom hard enough, "No" turns into "Yes" very quickly...

teacherwriter

Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I get lots of phone calls at the beginning of the year (as do all of my colleagues) about how "mean" I am and how much I yell (I don't ever raise my voice).
That's because "yelling" is actually telling them no. I've had students say the same thing, and I don't raise my voice either.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Ugh
Old 02-12-2019, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I was teaching I used to say:

What part of no don't you understand? I would also tell them that no is a complete sentence.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

I agree
Old 02-12-2019, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I definitely see this! Kids don't hear no at home - or more often, hear it but know it doesn't mean anything, because their parents won't stick to their guns.

Check out this book:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YVsfoR_Kf_k#
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

Surly

Increasingly,
Old 02-13-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

They don't hear it at school either, outside of certain individual teachers' classrooms. And a lot of times, those teachers' "nos" are undermined by people higher up the chain of command.

Surly is online now   Reply With Quote