Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Fmla

>

PEPteach

Fmla
Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 PM

I'm so confused about fmla. Does it vary by district? I need to be out for surgery. Due to the timing of it with a break, I think I'll only be out for 3-5 days. I was sent a bunch of paperwork for fmla that talks about unpaid leave. I have plenty of sick days. Why would I do fmla?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 11-07-2016, 03:35 PM

I'd use sick leave if you have it. FMLA is generally unpaid. Call your HR office and ask why you even received the info. Did you tell them you were going to be out for surgery? Perhaps they thought you'd miss weeks.

I did have to miss work for 6 weeks several years ago because of major surgery. I had plenty of sick leave and that's what I used.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 11-07-2016, 03:38 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I'd definitely prefer to use my sick days. I was sent a very confusing email. I sent her my questions and am waiting to hear back. I'm not sure if it's because I'm trying to add on to a break, which generally isn't allowed?

wildflowerz

Old 11-07-2016, 03:38 PM

FMLA protects your position and protects you from any backlash from taking time off. It is still good to use FMLA because you may need follow up appointments. It can be taken intermittently and does not have to be used on consecutive days.

You should be able to use your sick days first and if you still need time out then the time may be unpaid. It depends on where you work and why you are taking the FMLA. I can use my sick days and still be paid if it is for myself but if it is for a family member I won't be paid. Check with your HR.

Paid time off varies by district. My sister is a nurse and her job gives her paid FMLA even for family members.

You might want to find out if there are other options of taking as short period of time off. I was out for two weeks after my father died and didn't have to use FMLA. I got a note from my dr. and my district had a specific short term leave of absence form.

Does your district have any leave forms on their website? You might be able to sort through some of it and figure it out.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 11-07-2016, 03:45 PM

FMLA is there to protect your job. I don't think you will need to file only being out 3-5 days, but your district might want you to. You will still get to use your sick days. I was out 10 days last year after I shattered my tibia. I came back in wheel chair and ended up being out a few more days throughout the year for Ortho appointments. I did file FMLA paperwork and each time I took off for the doctor related to my injury I noticfied the district.

TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

Fmla
Old 11-07-2016, 03:59 PM

I was told to take it for my father who passed in August. I am now using it for my mother and her appointments. I filed it but use my paid sick leave. It just protects my job and I do not have to turn in doctor's notes.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

Ask your HR
Old 11-07-2016, 05:02 PM

I am forced to use FMLA along with sick days for my extended medical leave. We don't get a choice where I work. I have enough sick leave, but it doesn't matter.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

MeMimi

Old 11-07-2016, 05:04 PM

With all three of my knee surgeries I was required to fill out the FMLA paperwork. Even though I was only out 10 to 15 days for each. It's a huge protection thing apparently. The one surgery I was only supposed to be out a week and they made me get it all filled out by the doctor and submitted. The theory is that you go through all your sick days first and then FMLA would kick in for protection. Since we are only a couple districts apart, I'm assuming it's standard in the area.
MeMimi is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 11-07-2016, 07:13 PM

UGH! Thanks.....I just want to avoid all the paperwork. This dr's office is far away and difficult to communicate with!

beagles2

Old 11-08-2016, 11:29 AM

I have 200+ sick days banked, but when I had to have surgery recently, my benefits administrator at the district office told me I had to fill out FMLA paperwork. I didn't ask why, I just printed it and filled in the little bit that I could. Then I handed it over to the doctor's office. They filled all the rest out and faxed it to my district. The part I had to fill out was really minimal.

I wish I could explain why it needed to be filled out when I had so many sick days, but I can't .

I'm still receiving my paycheck as usual.

beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote