Help

Second Grade

Word Walls?

>

lclark

Word Walls?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you still do word walls in second grade? How do you introduce the words and then what do you do with them besides hopefully have the students refer to them? Which words do you include (names, reading series words, high frequency, science and social studies, etc...)?
I am debating on doing a word wall this year. None of the teachers on my team do one.

lclark is offline   Reply With Quote

luckyteacher

No Word Wall
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have a word wall. I order personal dictionaries for each child. Click here for a link to the ones I order. This book has sights words and other common words, a section for color words, ordinal numbers, days of the week, months of the year and contractions. There are also blank spaces so kids can add words to each letter. I only let them add words however that they use all the time.

When I taught first I did use a word wall but have found that 2nd graders are independent enough to mangage the dictionaries and it's so much more personalized.

Separately, during word work, we work on spelling patterns.

Hope this helps!
luckyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

reesespieces

Old 07-25-2012, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm going to still do a word wall and use the Dolch 2nd grade words. I found a printable list of them on teacherspayteachers-but they are down for maintenance today!

I'm going to introduce probably 5 new words a week and use cheers/chants: http://pinterest.com/cherryreese/word-wall/

I'm still trying to figure all of this out too!
reesespieces is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Yes! to word walls
Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

but only if you are going to hold kids accountable for spelling those words in everything they do. Otherwise, it is probably just taking up space as they won't use it. I introduce five words a week. We clap, chant, play games, all sorts of stuff with the words. Years back, when 4 blocks was popular, I started using those activities/strategies. I use the words from Sitton Spelling, but you can use any high frequency word list. I have vocabulary walls for science, math, and reading series words. I also use the Carson Dellossa (sp?) monthly word charts. They have seasonal and holiday words that kids use a lot in their writing.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach36

Yes
Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is required by our district....they also have a list of suggested Dolch words to introduce each week. They usually match whatever the spelling/phonics pattern is for the week. An awesome teacher in our district created a list to make sure she gets every word (although the district has suggested words, they repeat and it's a confusing mess haha!) by the end of the year. We use Treasures and her list has been super helpful in planning this year.

luv2teach36 is offline   Reply With Quote

room213

word walls
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have had a word wall in my room for many, many years. But, not all students need the five high frequency words each week chanted, etc. I am rethinking my approach this year and doing personal word walls. Each child will have their own file folder with the words they need for their writing...more personalized for students needs. I have personal dictionaries for each table to use when they edit their writing and do spelling patterns and words for whole group lessons. I'm still processing this whole thing. I'm looking to be more individualized this year.

I have a math word wall and content walls with vocabulary we need for each unit and use them when we begin each lesson in that subject as an opener to review what we have learned so far.
room213 is offline   Reply With Quote