Help

Second Grade

Writing help please!

>

FLBeachgirl

Writing help please!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am a first year teacher and I need some help! My "team" is mostly full of teachers who do their own thing and really aren't willing to help. I'm so frustrated and am beginning to understand why so many teachers do not stay in the field!

I am having trouble with teaching my 2nd graders writing. Most of them are very low and my district has no writing curriculum. I'm just not sure what or how to teach them. Does anyone have a suggestion of a writing "curriculum" they use? Or any sample lessons they would be willing to share? I would like to use the writer's workshop design, but am just really struggling!

Thanks so much in advance!

J

FLBeachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

room213

Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you will send me a private message, I can send you a few things. I know how frustrating it is to not get any direction from your team or district.
room213 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Model Model Model
Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and make it fun so they will want to write. Show them examples you have written.

Also write across the curriculum. That way if they do not like writing, but like the subject they are writing about they will enjoy the writing process. Write reports, write science observations and results, write reading responses, write stories, write personal narratives, write poetry, write about math in a journal.... You get the idea. Different kids like different kinds of writing.

I would start with something like The Important Book. Read it aloud to them. Help them to notice patterns. Then write a class version following the same pattern. Any theme will do, but I usually write about school with them, since that is a topic we all share. We create a class book working together.

You could also select a common theme and have each child write a page to create a class book.

Then have students write their own versions following the same pattern. Maybe they could write about their family or pet(s). Help them revise and edit. Then bind into books with a cover using their art work. They will be very proud that they are the author of a book.

I like the Empowering Writers curriculum. You can find the books online.

Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

FLBeachgirl

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I tried sending you a private message and the site won't let me! ;-( Could I give you my email or contact you some other way?

Thanks!
FLBeachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

I Agree
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

1956BD laid out a pretty comprehensive plan. Writing well is hard work.

Many second graders need a lot of discussion to prime the pump before they write. They need word banks and conversation about different ways to start that first important sentence. If we have 45 minutes to write, the prewriting activities might take 20. But it's worth it to see them eager to start writing.

One great activity is to have students write about an interesting magazine clipping. That way they are describing something they see, instead of having to create everything from scratch.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

DrivingPigeon

Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would highly recommend the book Getting to the Core of Writing. I, too, struggle to teach writing, because my district does not have a curriculum, and writing is really difficult for most kids. I purchased the book this past summer, and I have actually been excited for writing every day! There are so many fantastic lessons and ideas.The book is aligned to common core, and there is a suggested order in which to teach the lessons. They are so easy to follow, too. It also comes with a CD that contains all of the sheets that you may need to copy for lessons. I am honestly not doing this book justice-it's amazing!

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Core-W...riting+grade+2
DrivingPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

writing
Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Read "No More, I'm done" . It sets up writers workshop nicely and gives minilessons for all year.
  • I've been teaching 15 years and still got a lot out of it.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Talbot5

I recommend...
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Launching the Writing Workshop: A Step-By-Step Guide in Photographs
by Denise Leograndis , Pam Allyn
Talbot5 is offline   Reply With Quote

room213

Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi,
Yes, email me at sherman_ld@sbcglobal.net. I will send you a couple writing units you can use right away. Did your state adopt the common core?
Deb
room213 is offline   Reply With Quote