Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

2 Christmas Gift Questions

>

Teacherbee_4

2 Christmas Gift Questions
Old 12-08-2019, 07:48 AM

I have two questions regarding Christmas gifts that I would love input on!

1. My niece is almost 2. I have SO MANY ideas of things I want to get her! I see so many things she would just LOVE! I don't want to overwhelm her on Christmas, but I can't help myself, I see so many things she would LOVE! How many gifts do you think is okay for me to get a 2 year old? She will be doing Christmas at her other grandparents house with her parents, her other grandparents, her other aunts and uncles and cousins. Then she will be coming here probably on Christmas Day in the evening or the next day and will do Christmas with my parents (her grandparents of course), myself, and her parents. I don't think her parents will have gifts for her at our Christmas, I think my brother and sister in law will be giving her gifts from them at the other grandparents house. I already sent some small gifts for St. Nick Day to her house to get some of my ideas off my list, thinking that wouldn't overwhelm her. Her birthday is the end of January, so some of the gifts I can always wait for her birthday. She will also be visiting for 3 or 4 days, so I can always save some and give them to her throughout the her visit. What do you think? How many gifts should I get her, I doubt I can get her everything I want to give her anyway! What's a good number?

2. My aunt has a lot of things. She loves unique and creative things, and it actually makes shopping easier because when I get something unique, creative, hand-crafted, etc., she's less likely to have it. I'm thinking of looking for something on Etsy for her. I just don't know where to start. I know they have categories on Etsy, but I don't know which would be the best category to start looking at. I have no idea what I want to get her, just that if I get her something unique, it's better. Any ideas on which category to start with on Etsy?

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Gifts for teacherbee
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM

For the two year old: two at the most, one is better. My DD has asked everyone to limit toys because she has no more room for toys. GS has a November birthday.

Better idea is experiences: trip to zoo, kids museum/play area, park, pool, etc.

Aunt and Etsy...you do have to come up with a basic theme or product. Fairies? Gardening? Movie or TV show? Cooking or sewing or needlework?
Jewelry or scarves or a water color painting.

I accidentally found a cute pair of shoes for DD for Christmas on Etsy. I’m had googled “mermaid inspired shoes for women” and a ton of images came up. Some were from Etsy and, voila!
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 12-08-2019, 08:33 AM

For the two year old, think about a gift that is very interactive, containerized and not too big. Too many toys can overwhelm children. Other items are great gifts to like a new cup, chalk, sunglasses...

For instance, my DGD is two and I could buy things for her all the time. This year I’m giving her a small, portable playhouse with people and furniture, band aides, a toothbrush and a book. Her house is small and really can’t hold many more toys. She loves band aides and needs a new toothbrush.

I have zero experience with Etsy.

Have fun shopping!
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
My niece is almost 2. I have SO MANY ideas of things I want to get her! I see so many things she would just LOVE! I don't want to overwhelm her on Christmas, but I can't help myself, I see so many things she would LOVE! How many gifts do you think is okay for me to get a 2 year old?
I actually stopped getting my nieces gifts for the most part. They had parents, grandparents, and a whole lot of aunts, uncles, and cousins. My presents would just get lost in the jumble and they had an overwhelming amount of things at each Christmas and birthday.

A PTer... tammynj, maybe? The one with Ricochet.... see said her kid's aunt started a travel find for him and donated to it for every occasion. So that's what I started doing. And we do a fun experience together.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-08-2019, 08:54 AM

It was tammynj

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ht=travel+fund

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

MyLifeClass

Etsy
Old 12-08-2019, 08:56 AM

I love shopping on Etsy!! If you are going to buy something you might want to do it pretty quickly. Some products are already made and others are made after you order. Check shipping times so that you receive the item before the holidays.

I’ve only had 1 bad experience that I finally had to get Etsy and PayPal involved in. My item never shipped and they wouldn’t respond to me. As soon as Etsy and PayPal got involved I got my refund super fast.
MyLifeClass is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 12-08-2019, 09:51 AM

Buy your niece your favorite children's book. Write an inscription in it about why you love it and date it.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Old 12-08-2019, 10:20 AM

For your niece I would give her one gift. I would wrap it in a box the old fashioned way instead of placing in a gift bag. That way the box will become a gift too. If the box is big enough for her to sit inside that would be even more fun. Maybe you can take some markers and the two of you could decorate the box with your art work as well. Make memories with her rather that pouring all your love into several gifts.

You might also consider starting a new tradition with her. Baking cookies? Decorating a gingerbread house? Making snow angels? Driving around on Christmas Eve together to see Christmas lights? Do something special that she will always look forward to doing with her aunt.

I would look for a junk journal on Etsy. I bet your aunt would enjoy recording some old memories or jotting down her new goals for the upcoming year. There are some really pretty ones and some funky artistic ones too.

I like this one. It has pockets to save receipts, tickets...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7364076...=1&frs=1&cns=1

I shop and buy on Etsy a great deal and have had almost all good experiences.

Last edited by 1956BD; 12-08-2019 at 10:36 AM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 12-08-2019, 12:12 PM

My mother-in-law is difficult to buy for. I found out that a high school friend had started an Etsy page with quilted table runners. I think it will be the perfect gift.

For my father-in-law and my mom, I bought some customized rocks for their gardens.

Etsy is a great place to shop for unique gifts! If either of the gifts listed above sound like something your aunt would like, I'll send you the shop names.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsP0405

Old 12-08-2019, 05:20 PM

I would buy one or two things for your niece with her receiving gifts from so many others. My kids get overwhelmed by too many toys. I like the previous idea of a special tradition for your niece each year. How about a Hallmark “niece” ornament? The one this year is a hedgehog and really cute. They make a new style each year. I get the son and daughter ones for my kids and they also receive the grandson/daughter version from my parents. They really look forward to opening their ornaments each year. My three year old was sooooo excited for his this year as I give them mine the day we decorate the tree. When your niece is grown, she will have them for her own tree!

MrsP0405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 12-08-2019, 08:36 PM

As the mom of a 2 year old, less is more when it comes to gifts! I know it's hard. I can think of dozens of ideas for my daughter this year.

She would have been the same age as your niece last year and was definitely tired of opening gifts by the end of Christmas.

I would go with one bigger gift. Figure out which of your ideas has the most "play value" - that she can use in different ways for the most time. If you are going to be with her for a few days, you could do a few smaller gifts, each tied to an experience with her. Gift some art supplies and do a craft together, etc.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

gifts
Old 12-09-2019, 08:50 AM

My dad does what another PTer mentioned and does a fund he puts money in each gift occasion for all his grandkids. They will get it when they are older (graduate HS or college depending on kid I think) for something fun--travel, car, etc. They don't miss the gift (they are 6 and 4). For birthdays this year I requested family do a lot of experiences--so my sister-in-law took my 6 year old to get her nails done (she LOVED it) and my mom took both kids (separately) on a lunch and ice cream date and they were so excited about it.

Maybe something personalized for the 2 year old? Etsy makes some lovely name puzzles. This shop is my favorite and we have a wood name puzzle and several wooden montessori things from it https://www.etsy.com/shop/FromJennif...ennifer%20wood

What do her parents say? My niece and nephews are 4 and under and I always ask the parents what they want (specifically, what the parents want them to have!) and if I have my own idea, I send the link or a description and ask their opinion. It sounds like you're willing to spend a decent amount. Maybe think of one bigger item that the parents would approve of for the yard or room.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote