Help

Substitute Teachers

I kept the sub key

>

mrsd5

I kept the sub key
Old 12-14-2019, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are given a key to unlock our classroom door, then have to return it. But, for security reasons, self-closing doors have just been installed. Teachers had these cute foam door blockers, but they were all taken away. So.... they had a sub shortage, so I had to cover for a period. The door had automatically closed and locked on that classroom when the teacher covering went back to her class. I sent a student for the key, then kept it. My door was closed and I needed to get back in. I returned the key at the end of the day (it opens every door), and was complaining. Another teacher, who is active in the union, said he'd take the issue to labor management the next time they meet. I have sub/aided/taught in this school for nearly my entire career. You'd think they'd trust me with a key!

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 12-15-2019, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You did the right thing. I guess Iím lucky because I work in a district that trusts us with keys. All I ask is the tools to do my job. If they wanted/needed the key back they could have called and asked you to send it back with a student!
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 12-15-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've never understood when subs post that they don't get a key. We have those foam blocks, too, but sometimes they get dislodged and the door closes and locks. I suspect some of the junior high students do it on purpose. But I've always gotten a key. And in 20 years, I've only lost one, which I felt awful about.
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 12-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The school that I sub at I have to give them my car keys in order to get a classroom key.
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When schools get weird with me about keys, I don't go back. Had an elementary school basically lock me in the room all day with no key (there was a bathroom in the classroom, but come on.) and I haven't been back there since. Like, you guys are aware that we have a credentialing/interviewing process just like everyone else, right? We're not bums you grabbed off the street. Another level of insulting, in my opinion.

Luckily I've only seen that at one school. Most places just trust me with the key so I can do my job without having to bug them about opening a door, go figure.

Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Itís a security thing.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Itís my old school. I worked there 20 years. I love the school, but this key thing is crazy. The secretary agrees. She let me keep the key after I forgot to block the door to run across the hall to use the bathroom. She has even loaned out her personal key. Another sub, who retired this past year, got the custodian to leave a key in his mailbox. She grabs it when she subs. She was in today and told me her little secret. So, if sheís not there, I can use it. The principal knows about it, but isnít thrilled. I say that if you canít trust former teachers from your building with a key, then you should be prepared to be at their beck and call.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Learn Today
Old 01-03-2020, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My district had some schools with that "leave your car keys" requirement. I got it stopped. You trust me with kids and not a key?!?!

I went to the board about a few issues, the only one they jumped on was the key. I told them the truth: my insurance agent when I inquired told me that the district was assuming liability for my car and its contents when they take my key.

Magic word as always: Liability.

The insult to employees didn't affect them at all.

If the board didn't act, I was ready to have the secretary or whoever requires the key, inventory my car at the beginning of the day, we both sign off, and inventory again at the end to be sure no one had stolen from me during the day. That would also would cover the school's liability for any claims I might make about missing laptops, money, etc. My assumption being that those who can't trust others are not trustworthy themselves.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-07-2020, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What were the other issues? Curious.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

bodhimom
Old 01-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The other issues, as best I recall, were pay (they'd reduced our daily rate by $3 to help balance the budget!!!); lack of keys--especially during code red; wrong start times entered on AESOP; the three weeks off at Christmas leaving subs with 7 possible days to work, 4 of them during the week before the break to earn a January check; no id badges for employees/subs while volunteers had them.

The HR and sub office did finally coordinate binders with keys for every classroom including school maps, emergency plans, etc.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote